The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it sufficient to only use Excel for a 6gal planted, with ferts? What about a 3 gal? If not, why? Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For tanks of that size Excel is great.

You can use Excel only in any size tank, but it starts getting costly with larger tanks.
besides convenience, is there any reason I would want to switch to gas CO2? is a capful a day too much? right now i have some anubias nana, java fern, java moss and dwarf sag.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
besides convenience, is there any reason I would want to switch to gas CO2? is a capful a day too much? right now i have some anubias nana, java fern, java moss and dwarf sag.
Standard Excel dosing is 5ml (1 capful)/10g after a water change. Then 1ml/10g daily. So in your size tanks 5ml/day is overdosing.

In reality, with the plants you list, depending on the amount of light and fish you keep in the tanks, Excel may not be needed at all.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Standard Excel dosing is 5ml (1 capful)/10g after a water change. Then 1ml/10g daily. So in your size tanks 5ml/day is overdosing.

In reality, with the plants you list, depending on the amount of light and fish you keep in the tanks, Excel may not be needed at all.
so what are the side effects of overdosing excel?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
One beneficial side-effect to controlled overdosing of Excel is algae control. This is generally in the .5-.75ml/gal range.

Over this level can be fatal to shrimp. I've never dosed to a level that caused any fatalities to fish or plants.

·
Registered
644 Posts
well this is kinda secret... but... if you overdose excel to much
you will get spam posts on your journal :eek:
LOL, Felix.

Overdosing Excel in higher amounts is lethal to everything, not just shrimp. Also a lot of plants (cabomba and anacharis to name a few) cannot tolerate high levels of Excel and you'll soon be left with stems without leaves :tongue:. Excel is an isomer of Glutaraldehyde (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutaraldehyde) which is also toxic to you and me. :)

You should be dosing 3ml after a major water change and .6ml/day. Get yourself an oral syringe. Makes dosing much easier and more accurate than capfuls. :proud:

·
Registered
70 Posts
LOL, Felix.

Overdosing Excel in higher amounts is lethal to everything, not just shrimp. Also a lot of plants (cabomba and anacharis to name a few) cannot tolerate high levels of Excel and you'll soon be left with stems without leaves :tongue:. Excel is an isomer of Glutaraldehyde (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutaraldehyde) which is also toxic to you and me. :)

You should be dosing 3ml after a major water change and .6ml/day. Get yourself an oral syringe. Makes dosing much easier and more accurate than capfuls. :proud:
The Oral syringe Solstice is talking about comes in handy. Solstice told me about these and I picked up some. I got one for every bottle:proud:. If you get the Ezy Dose brand they come with a rubber korc. I replaced all my caps with these, but be careful if you do this because if the bottle falls hard enough it will pop off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts