The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been dosing seachem flourish excel for the past few days and I dont see my drop checker changing color. It's been blue ever since. Does Excel not work for the drop checker? Or am I not dosing enough?

The direction on the seachem bottle says 1 cap full per 10gal and I have a 10gallon and have been dosing 2 cap full =(

Plants arent showing much improvement..growth is still slow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Excel is not going to change the drop checker as far as I know, it's not a source of CO2, but rather, a source of carbon...

CO2 causes the ph to drop because:

Carbon dioxide dissolves in water to form carbonic acid, H2CO3: CO2 + H2O --> H2CO3

Then, this acid reacts to form H3O+ (hydronium cation) which is acidic and bicarbonate HCO3- like this:

H2CO3 + H2O --> HCO3- + H3O+

Excel, as far as I know is ph neutral and is just glutaraldehyde...

What are your other specs?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think the directions for flourish are:
On initial use or after a major (> 40%) water change, use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 gallons*). Thereafter use 1 capful for every 200 L (50 gallons*) daily or every other day.

Adding more might show with some slightly faster plant growth, but you will go through that bottle quicker than you may want. Save some pennies, dose less! :biggrin:

Do you have DIY co2 on this tank? It might help in combination with flourish and some good lighting to get the growth your looking for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.