The Planted Tank Forum banner

Excel Melting Val's or a Deficiency?

4085 10
Hi all,

I have been battling a bad case of BBA for the last two months or so. Last week, I decided to completely remove all the plants, spray/soak in hydrogen peroxide, and replant in new substrate (eco-complete). I also decided to do a week of Excel, to try to knock out any remaining algae. I understand that Val's are very sensitive to Excel, but I have used it in the past without any melting. This is after three days of using Excel (big dose on day 1, normal doses day 2-4 so far).

What I would like to know is if this is typical Val melting, or if this is a deficiency, or if it is from uprooting and replanting.

Thanks for any input!

Tech Specs:
36 Gallon Bowfront
Fluval Fresh & Plant 2.0
Pressurized Co2 with Fluval diffuser (2 bps)
Marineland C220 Canister Filter
Easy Green Fertilizer & Seachem Root Tabs

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Excel is really hard on vals in my experience. I found that the big dose killed most of the ones I had. I would bet it's a little bit of both, Excel & uprooting to move. Once I stopped Excel my vals seemed to recover somewhat. They grew healthy looking new growth but were stunted (much shorter than they had been) and did not send out runners nearly as much. I did figure out that if you slowly work them up to the maintenance dose over a couple weeks they seemed to tolerate Excel. I switched to co2 after a couple months of the low dose. Then, after about 8 months or so, they are just now starting to grow to the surface in my spec III. If they don't die, I would think that given some (or a lot of) time they will bounce back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excel is really hard on vals in my experience. I found that the big dose killed most of the ones I had. I would bet it's a little bit of both, Excel & uprooting to move. Once I stopped Excel my vals seemed to recover somewhat. They grew healthy looking new growth but were stunted (much shorter than they had been) and did not send out runners nearly as much. I did figure out that if you slowly work them up to the maintenance dose over a couple weeks they seemed to tolerate Excel. I switched to co2 after a couple months of the low dose. Then, after about 8 months or so, they are just now starting to grow to the surface in my spec III. If they don't die, I would think that given some (or a lot of) time they will bounce back.


Thank you. I am leaving on vacation for the next week so I will see how they look when I get home.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
I have the same problem. See my recent post is this due to too much ferts then?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sprayed hydrogen peroxide to get rid of the hair alga and I thought that caused it... Don't think it did it any good. I have replanted. How do the roots look? If they are not black you should be ok?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
My vals seem to do fine even with frequent double dosing of Excel. At worst they grow a little slower. I've used Excel to kill off the staghorn algae that would grow on the top parts of the val. The good thing with val for me is that since it grew fast, I could just trim the leaves that had algae without otherwise disturbing the plant. The BBA I get is typically on my driftwood which I spot treat with hydrogen peroxide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
My vals seem to do fine even with frequent double dosing of Excel. At worst they grow a little slower. I've used Excel to kill off the staghorn algae that would grow on the top parts of the val. The good thing with val for me is that since it grew fast, I could just trim the leaves that had algae without otherwise disturbing the plant. The BBA I get is typically on my driftwood which I spot treat with hydrogen peroxide.


I'm experiencing similar problems half a cap a day in a 37. They aren't all dead but they certainly aren't doing well. Has anyone had experience with dosing anything to combat this issue? Or is it just a matter of the excel damaging the plant itself?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
I'm experiencing similar problems half a cap a day in a 37. They aren't all dead but they certainly aren't doing well. Has anyone had experience with dosing anything to combat this issue? Or is it just a matter of the excel damaging the plant itself?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vals and Excel typically don't mix well for a lot of people. It does damage the plant in some way, so you might just have to stop dosing it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,572 Posts
Or maybe try crypt balansae for tall back ground plant that appears not to be affected by Excel, (Glut). IME Am using metricide 14 (glut) with the crypt balansae)
I grew leopard vals for a long time in hard alkaline water with no Excel and they became invasive.
I too believe the Vallisneria to be sensitive to Glut and or excel for more than a few people it appear's.
One two punch of H2o2 plus excel with vals in particular, may be too much.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top