The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have just started using excel, but have recently read that it is actually bad for some plants. Could anyone let me know what some of these plants would be? I do plan to get an actual CO2 system sometime in the near future, but the budget is tight.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
In over doses it's really bad for algae. So subwassertang would be at risk. I very much overdosed to get rid of a LOT of algae and had Val leaves crackle, but the plants survived just fine. Some people have had issues with Riccia, but all mine did was grow, grow, grow.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Generally, the true aquatic plants (like Vallisneria, Elodea, etc) and non-vascular plants (mosses, liverworts) are more sensitive to excel than others. It's just fine to use with plants, just be careful not to overdose too much if you have any of the above plants.

Just FYI, the active ingredient in excel is used as a sterilizing agent for medical tools, just at a lot more concentrated levels. Excel is extremely diluted down.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was able to use Flourish Excel in a tank with vals in it without apparently harming the plants by building up the dose from 1/4 of normal to a full dose over a two week period.

It is the only thing I've found that can be used to safely remove BBA (aka black brush algae) by overdosing for two or three weeks. You do have to be careful doing this though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome thanks guys. I will continue to use it then. Thats some good info to know that it can kill algae. I shut down and rebuilt a tank about a year ago due to a huge algae problem, wish I had known that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts