The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had some HC growing emmersed in a tank for a few weeks now that has been doing great. I sprayed some excel diluted 1:2 (excel:water) because there were a few spots on the substrate that had some algae. After the second time I sprayed on the second day, the HC looks darker and I'm afraid it is starting to melt. Anyone else has had a problem with excel and emmersed HC.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Since no one replied, I'll give it a shot. It's my opinion that your diluted excel was still WAY too concentrated. 2 to 1 sounds very high. I would think that a 20 to 1 ratio would be more appropriate.

Probably a better method to rid your tank of algae would be to let it dry out a little. Emersed HC prefers there to be no standing water anyway.

Since you posted yesterday, what was the outcome? Did the HC melt?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing it's way too high too, but it's what someone on these forums told me they used. It looks like 80 to 90 percent of the HC I've been growing emmersed for a month now is going to melt. It's a darker green/gray color and there's little new growth in the last few days. That's a bit frustrating.

There was no standing water in the tank, just a few spots of some greenish looking algae growing on the moist substarte. I was going to fill with water in the next week and was a bit paranoid about the algae growth. Looks like i'm going to be waiting atleast another month now :frown:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts