The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This tank has been set up close to 5 months to the day and has gone through a few ups and downs (wrong plant choices, an outbreak of velvet, etc). The addition of a UV sterilizer has helped immensely-although it added an ugly tube on the right that has now been covered by the Ammania. Here is a few photos from the 5 months:

October 8, 2006

November 11, 2006

December 29, 2006

February 8, 2007

March 5, 2007

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a bunch-I 'thought' it was great a few months ago. This is my first planted tank and Im shocked at how quickly things grow.

As for the lighting-Zulu is correct-just changed some settings on the camera and took the photos at night.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Nice setup. The progression from month-to-month shows real improvement. Aren't big tanks fun! I've really enjoyed the freedom to create front-to-back 3-D depth. It also allows for some truly huge schools of fish and many more stocking options.

Please share the nitty-gritty details..... light, substrate, hardness, fertilizing schedule, filtration, heaters, CO2, etc.

My only critique is that the foreground plant in the middle needs a serious trim. Is this glosso or HM?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Really nice work!! But I think "evolution" is the wrong word to describe the changes. I thought evolution implied a long, slow process. Five months from start to what you have now is pretty incredible. Maybe "revolution" would be more applicable. (a sudden, radical, or complete change).

Doug N

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
what a great progression. Beautiful job. I love how it filled in and I see youadded some plants and defined the scale. Gorgeous, and lush.
Can you list your flora?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice setup. The progression from month-to-month shows real improvement. Aren't big tanks fun! I've really enjoyed the freedom to create front-to-back 3-D depth. It also allows for some truly huge schools of fish and many more stocking options.

Please share the nitty-gritty details..... light, substrate, hardness, fertilizing schedule, filtration, heaters, CO2, etc.

My only critique is that the foreground plant in the middle needs a serious trim. Is this glosso or HM?
When I decided to do this I didnt realize how difficult a tank this large is to aquascape. I want to add more fish, but the tank will be moving in a month or so into my office-having a built in constructed currently. As for the baby tears up front-I know they need a trim.....but I really like it tall.

Here are the details:
Eco-complete gravel
706 Watts of PC lighting (5500K)
2 x 250W heaters with substrate heater
Pressurized CO2 system with pH controller
Turbotwist 12X UV Sterilizer
2 x Magnum HOT (soon to be upgraded)

Dosing:
2x weekly-Fourish, nitrogen, iron, potassium

Plants:
Onion Plants
Giant Hygro
Apon. ulvaceous
Apon. crispus
Baby Tears
Rotala macrandra
Green Tiger Lotus
Red Tiger Lotus
Crypt. wendtii 'green'
Crypt. wendtii 'red'
Crypt. petchii
Crypt. lutea
Ammania senegalensis
Rotala indica
Java fern
Red Temple

Fish:
45 Cardinals
3 Roselines
2 New Guinea Rainbows
3 Glass Bloodfins
8 Espei Rasboras
12 Rummy Nose Tetras
15 Asst Corydoras
15 Otocinclus affinis
1 Glypto. joselemani pleco
5 Red Tail Hemiodus
1 Wild Scalare Angel
4-6 Botia sidthimunki
1pr Bolivian Rams

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Is that an Ammania senegalensis in the back right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.