The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had this tank for about 6 years now. In the original build I planned to house large fish but in the back of my mind had possible future plans for a planted tank. So, the original build was on a budget. Everything besides the pump and heaters found on Craigslist. I splurged on substrate though - 230 pounds of Fluorite gravel, sand, and Eco complete mix. I bought out everything they had at the LFS, lol.

This was about 5 years ago.

After raising Festae, Peacock bass, Snook, Poly's, ect. I changed gears to smaller fish.

Here is about 20 months ago. I was researching and determined to bring Nitrate levels to 0 at this time. That's why I had all the moss in the tank.

16" Speckled Bullhead Cat zoOming across the tank.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love predatory fish. But also love variety in the tank. So the predators got smaller and smaller. Until I reached the dwarf species. At this same time begun planting.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I progressed with plants I also progressed with technology. This picture is about 4-5 months old. I was in the middle of converting to LED lighting.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plants LOVE Finnex LED's!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a Birchir.

LOVE the pike. You still have him?

So what's the new plan for this tank? :icon_smil
No I don't. I adopted out all my monster fish. I loved her and have future plans of a 300+ gallon tank for large fish again.

Plans are highlight, high tech, with dwarf cichlids, and schools of tetra. After joining this forum I realized there are so many different types of plants out there than what I am used to seeing locally. I have already picked up crypts such as ',Flamingo', changing my Anubias out and trying Buce species, along with a few other species I have purchased form other member on this forum.
It was suggested to me to start this thread and thought it was a good idea to do so :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last weekend I overhauled the tank. Pulling many of the plants out. My 7' wall of Rotala 'indica' Rotundifolia is now down to 1 foot. There is now 6-7 different background plants that I've been collecting and growing out in my 30 gallon. I got the final shove to get shoulder deep after purchasing some awesome plants here on plantedtank.net.

LOG- I pulled off all my Anubias 'nana' and scrubbed the Java moss off, super glued weeping moss and Buce 'ghost' onto. The 2 plants in front are new additions as well. The left from a member here.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
More current pictures .

Excuse the LOG in front left. I'm growing flame moss and Anubias 'nana' on it for my 9.5 gallon L.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Current full tank shot. 7' 140 gallon tank. Finnex lighting includes 2X 4' RAY2, 1X 3' RAY2, 1X 4' FUGERAY PLANTED+, 1X 3' FUGERAY PLANTED +. 12" AquaTop LED (7,000K) , and 3X 17" Marineland RED LED's.
30 gallon sump/ mini refugium (plant / moss starts) with an AquaTop 7,000K LED pendent, and CO2 reactor in last compartment.

30 gallon plant grow out sits underneath. I also hold my trimmings in the 30 and grow out aquascaped woods. The 30 gallon is home to a school of Amber tetra and a pair of Orange flash Apistogramma. 30 gallon has a 30" & 24" FUGERAY PLANTED + and is CO2 injected.

There are a few background plants you cannot see yet. They are still to low and hid behind the LOGS. I will update in a few weeks :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts