The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I had a nasty bout with BBA and now that I have good CO2 along with the lighting I've been spot treating with Excel the BBA is all turning white and there has been ZERO expansion of it to other areas in the tank...

Anyways I had to trim back the Jungle Vals in the back they were seriously obstructing flow from the canister and co2 movement and a lot of it had bba on it at the tips so I went trimming at 45 degree angles

I haven't changed Fert levels or anything else and since the last excel treatment and everything else is doing well (including the swords) but the vals are just melting...literally I could reach in the tank and touch it and it just falls apart in some places and I just dont get it, it was doing ok prior to treatment and trim

They do have root tabs under them (from pfertz) but they seriously aren't looking happy at all since the trim

Any idea what I did wrong or what I can do to salvage them? (If you guys need a pic I can try and get one with my phone)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've heard, on many occasions of vals reacting badly to excel, as in they don't appreciate it. Supposedly they can only tolerate a smaller than usual dose.

I've also heard that you should not trim vals, because even though that will cause them to spread or send out runners, the main plants won't do well.

I personally have an abundance of vals, over 200+, and I keep them in dirt, sand, gravel, etc. and they are all doing great, too great.

Hopefully others will chime in sooner or later with their opinion.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Excel will make the Vals melt if you used high doses on the BBA, you can trim back the dying leaves and it should grow out new leaves soon, but lay off the Excel if you can.
+1 vals + excel = melt down. Trim off the bad stuff and hope it grows back

1 - 5 of 5 Posts