The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, many of the fish I've had for 4 or 5 years and things had run pretty stably for the 6 or so months since I restarted the CO2. Sunday morning I awoke to about 25 floaters. The drop checker was a very yellow colour and the pH was 6.0 from a starting pH in the tank of about 7.6 (8.2 from the tap).

I haven't figured out exactly what happened but at the moment I'm blaming myself for using a crappy checkvalve between my regulator/solenoid and that water must have gotten to it one too many times. That said, the solenoid still should have closed...and I fear that it has failed.

Looks like an order to Rex is forthcoming...

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I have gassed many fish and shrimp, happens. PM me for a check valve.......DC

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
check was after the solenoid not between, it was run by a controller that should have closed the solenoid. The controller is calibrated and still works fine so my only guess is that the solenoid has failed...

I'm pondering dual solenoids for the new setup...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Dang, sorry dude. I had an EOT dump this weekend and it killed everything but 2 endlers, so I know how you feel. I'll be ordering 2 LPR's from Rex.

·
Registered
123 Posts
What kind of reactors are you guys using to actually get that much CO2 dissolved?

I'm running my pressurized with a Hagen Ladder and I don'tt hink even EOT dump would cause a problem since the Hagen Ladder can only dissolve so much CO2 before it limits itself. Is my logic correct?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Maybe an in-line reactor, it could even happen with a diffuser like it did in 2wheelsx2's case. I don't know how long an EOT dump lasts, nor do I want to ever find out, but I guess it is possible. Must be a lot of gas then...you have a good point!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was running into a powerhead but at a high pressure to keep my regulator somewhat predictable. Yep, the RexLPR is about to be ordered once I've troubleshot...even if all looks good, I can't trust the existing solenoid...

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
That's really strange with a controller on the system. It does sound like the solenoid failed. That or the controller did.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
original kuhli - I'm so very sorry about your loss! I'm sure you must be massively bummed. Sorry. :icon_frow

But since you have posted, this is an opportunity for us all to learn from your misfortune...

Yoink, your point is well made. Though I don't personally subscribe to it, that's because frankly I've found it too hard to adjust to an acceptable steady rate. And the controller has, for me, been the lazy man's way out of that problem.

So this begs the question... do solenoids often fail? Or did original kuhli just draw the short straw?

...and confirmation of the question Sergio asked about - the tank being empty - would help us bottom this out.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Solenoids don't often fail. Most of them are rated for at least a million cycles. Of course that rating is much like the MTBF ratings on hard drives. It does mean that a very few will fail very quickly.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Indeed the tank was very full Saturday morning and very empty on Sunday morning, it was only a 20 oz CO2 tank but thats still enough for over a month normally.

Like I said, I think the solenoid is the culprit but I'll confirm that tonight when I refill the CO2 tanks and troubleshoot this a bit. Basically there's only really two possibilities:

1. Solenoid fails in open position thereby not closing the flow of CO2
2. Controller fails to shutoff thereby continuing flow of CO2, this doesn't appear to be the case unless it was a temporary malfunction. The unit still switches properly right now.

And it just occured to me that we had a power outage in the time that I was away...so maybe that was the source of the solenoid malfunction... I'll be able to troubleshoot better tonight.

Thanks for all the kind words, it was very much a bummer...the deceased:

10 or so very large Danios...a nice school
3 smaller sailfin plecos
3 very large Aussie Rainbows (one very nice Bosemani of 3.5 inches)
2 clown loaches
4 rock kribensis
4 synodontis petricola
2 synodontis multipunctatus
1 synodontis nigriventris
4 kuhli loaches

Not as fully stocked as a 125 can be but a shame nonetheless.

Scolley, figuring this out is exactly why I posted...you're right!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just wondering if an air stone at night would have been enough you think to save the tank even if the solenoid failed?

Sorry for you losses. Poor guys.

kara

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Kuhli- Sorry to hear. I find one thing very strange. Solenoid controlled valves are "normally closed". They're held closed by a spring until you apply current to the coil. It's almost impossible to fail open. Unless the valve is open regardless of being energized or not, I'm leaning towards an intermittant controller malfunction.

Tommy

1 - 20 of 56 Posts