The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A screed to live by! Since I grow a preponderance of tropical ferns and mosses, I've become aware of how much my plant collection is based on remnants and leftovers.

My Java Fern and the Water Sprite both grow a lot of young plants. It makes me happy to see new plants and growth every morning that I work on my tanks.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Possibly. But I get up in the morning to see that my stem plants are consistently dying/turning brown and crispy despite root tabs and water changes. This tends to bring me less joy and more sadness and irritation. :(
But I agree on growing a nice moss from bits and remnants.

Reactions: GrampsGrunge

·
Registered
161 Posts
Possibly. But I get up in the morning to see that my stem plants are consistently dying/turning brown and crispy despite root tabs and water changes. This tends to bring me less joy and more irritation. :(
But I agree on growing a nice moss from bits and remnants.
I think with stem plants you need liquid ferts. Roots tabs correct me if im wrong are most for crypts, swords plants like those.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I was under the impression that osmocote root tabs would dissolve to include into the water column but I could easily be wrong. I am no position to correct you on anything as I am still new to the planted aspect of tankdom.
But I digress. I am threadjacking and it was unintended.
My apologies to the OP.
I am however curious OP as to what a "Screed" is? >:)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I was under the impression that osmocote root tabs would dissolve to include into the water column but I could easily be wrong. I am no position to correct you on anything as I am still new to the planted aspect of tankdom.
My apologies to the OP.
King Koopa is right,stem plants get most or all of their nutrients from the water column so get a few dry ferts and watch them stems grow.

screed
skrēd/Submit
noun
a long speech or piece of writing, typically one regarded as tedious.
a leveled layer of material (e.g., cement) applied to a floor or other surface.
verb
level (a floor or layer of concrete) with a straight edge using a back and forth motion while moving across the surface.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
King Koopa is right,stem plants get most or all of their nutrients from the water column so get a few dry ferts and watch them stems grow.

screed
skrēd/Submit
noun
a long speech or piece of writing, typically one regarded as tedious.
a leveled layer of material (e.g., cement) applied to a floor or other surface.
verb
level (a floor or layer of concrete) with a straight edge using a back and forth motion while moving across the surface.
Yet none of those definitions seem to apply to the OPs post lol
At any rate guess I will have to try that RE the stem plants. :)

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My apologies to the OP.
Nope not at all, this thread was posted with a sly bit of tongue in cheek. I heartily encourage this threadjacking.

The first definition that Doogy posted would not be inaccurate, although I'm aware that I can be at times tedious, and try to simplify my message, it also was a riff on a skit in Monty Python's movie, The Meaning of Life.

Suffice to say my Screed or Mental Mantra concerning aquatic plants is to save all the offshoots and adventious little ones, and give them a chance to grow into interesting full sized plants. This isn't always conducive to artistic and stunning aqua gardening.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Now THAT was a screed. Also I love Monty Python.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts