The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we needed more fish food and the food at the stores was not on sale when we went. 15.00 - 18.00 for the "large" size container seemed a bit high so we decided to give ken's fish food a try. We were quite surprised when the box came today at the amount inside for the 20.00 price tag.

*This is not a vendor review, it just came today and we have not tried it nor will I post about how the fish are going crazy for it, if they do. Just got a kick out of the size of the bags and thought I would share.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I buy about 95% of my food there also. The best part is my office falls is in a UPS 1-day service area, so it gets here overnight and the shipping is free. The flakes in those bags are really big and the bags are a little clumsy to work with; even though they are zip-tops. I fill a smaller glass jar with about what I'll use in a week or so and put the rest in the fridge. I have 23 tanks to feed and even I have to keep the notion that the stuff can go stale in the back of my head.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I have used several different kinds of Kens food and for the money you can't beat it. A pound of food will last a long time unless you have several tanks. Out of curiosity what kind did you get?

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Daaamn wonder how long that will last. How many freaking fish do you have to warrant such quantity?! I was given an 2oz fish flake bottle when I received my first tank. I've only had two flake eaters but I've hardly put a dent in the bottle since I got them in 2012, and its going to expire this year (get to find a new food I guess ^^)
Is this the kens veggie flakes fish food you've pictured?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
There is a subtle difference between a vendor review and a product review. As far as I know it's ok to say you or your fish like a product. ;)

Was similarly amazed after ordering 1lb of flake from AngelsPlus for the first time. Never seen so much in one place before, and for such a low price for the quantity compared to stores.

I've tried Ken's too. Both are so good I honestly can't tell which one is better. It does take a while for me to go through 1lb though, so I favor AngelsPlus based mainly on their use of a thick oxygen-proof and foil lined bag, and oxygen absorber packet, which should help keep it a bit fresher. I open the bag infrequently to fill smaller containers as needed.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We got the Premium Color Flake I believe.

We got through a large thing of fish food fairly regularly since we have quite a few tanks and fish, so this should last awhile and save us money in the long run. Next will be getting some of the 5 stick blend for the bottom feeders (not my shrimp, just plecos, cories, mollies, snails etc), will post a picture when those come in, not sure how big a bag of those will be.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If getting 1lb of fish food is a lot I probably should say I have 2.5lb of fish food to pick up on Monday :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you look at the weight of the fish food bottles @ the LFS, it's not that much of a shock. The plastic jar type containers themselves usually weigh MORE than it's actual contents.

1lb of food isn't much but if it's FLAKE variety, it'll definitely comes in a larger bag, similar to the gallon sized ziplock freezer bags.

• In your original photo, if you placed a standard keyboard or a 12" ruler it would give everyone a better sense of the size of each item.

I just checked website & looks like Ken's might have reworked their premium color flake recipe. Seems a lot better than the last time. Might order 1lb of their new formula & divide it equally among 8 friends.

Premium Color Max Flake
Product Description

Nature's own coloring food! Brings out the radient natural colors of your best freshwater and saltwater fish! We have added 3 times the natural color enhancers with our new mixture! Now with probiotics!

Main Ingredients: salmon meal blend, special mix: dried plankton, shrimp, krill and dried spirulina algae, wheat gluten meal, oat flour, brewers dried yeast, mix of natural color enhancers, carotene, lecithin, soy oil, fish oil, vitamin supplements, a, d3, b12, biotin, natural &artificial coloring, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin c). Dried bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried bacillus licheniformis fermentation

Guaranteed Analysis: crude protein 44.0% min., crude fat 12.0% min., crude fiber 7.0% max., moisture 8.0% max. All natural ingredients. No preservatives.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If I used flake I'd totally go for that.. Unfortunately I'm stuck ordering frozen foods. Haha

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
My next Ken's order I'll be getting some of the Kens Premium Color Max Flake .. has very good ingredient list.

My other staple is Ken's Ultimate Cichlid Bits. My Bluegills LOVE these .. after softening them up some first. They are a sinking type pellet that varies in size but most are about 3mm in size. It also has a very good ingredient list. A very similar item in a smaller 1mm diameter size is called Ken's Ultimate Mini Cichlid Sticks.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@DarkCobra, I did not know about AngelsPlus, just looked them up and you are right very similiar except the packaging. Maybe next time we need food, way down the road I will give them a try. Noticed they also sell just the better bag both in small and large size to keep food in, which is really nice.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i get most of my food from kens fish and yes it comes in big bags. im glad he stated using the zipper bags cause it used to come in a heat sealed bag so it didnt stay as fresh. i always save a couple large food bottles and fill them and stick the rest in the freezer works great and last a while that way

1 - 13 of 13 Posts