The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi jacob.morgan78,

I think I will agree with Diana. Unless you know how well the material will hold up long term in a submerged environment it is possible it will turn into sludge and mud. DE is not a calcined (heat fired) clay product like Safe-T-Sorb #7941 nor will DE have the same CEC characteristics as calcined clay since DE is a silicon based product. It is the calcination process that gives the clay the 'hardness' to hold up long term submerged; even some clay products (i.e. some brands of cat litter) do not hold up well in water probably because they were not calcined sufficiently. Obviously a material used for bonsai planting is not typically submerged for long periods of time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi jacob.morgan78,

I think I will agree with Diana. Unless you know how well the material will hold up long term in a submerged environment it is possible it will turn into sludge and mud. DE is not a calcined (heat fired) clay product like Safe-T-Sorb #7941 nor will DE have the same CEC characteristics as calcined clay since DE is a silicon based product. It is the calcination process that gives the clay the 'hardness' to hold up long term submerged; even some clay products (i.e. some brands of cat litter) do not hold up well in water probably because they were not calcined sufficiently. Obviously a material used for bonsai planting is not typically submerged for long periods of time.
Good point. I can't remember where but i'm pretty sure it's a hardened material or heat fired. It could have been from a bonsai forum and I have no idea which one.

I've since decided to go with blasting sand for aesthetics but maybe I'll set up a smaller tank just for experiment's sake!

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Good point. I can't remember where but i'm pretty sure it's a hardened material or heat fired. It could have been from a bonsai forum and I have no idea which one.

I've since decided to go with blasting sand for aesthetics but maybe I'll set up a smaller tank just for experiment's sake!
Hi jacob.morgan,

If you do set up a tank let us know how it goes; finding new material and equipment options for our hobby is part of the fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.