The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had one at one point and it worked well for me. However the biggest drawback that I found was that it requires a KH of at least 3 in order to work. As long as I had a KH of more than 3 it produced CO2 really well but when I moved and my tap KH went to 1 it was absolutely useless. Another problem that I ran into with it was when I changed my carbon block, something happened that I couldn't get it to work again.

IMO, it works but it is worth the money to go pressurized. In the long run you will spend way more on the CarboPlus with the replacement blocks than you would on CO2 canister refills.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Worthless piece of crap. Almost as expensive to start as pressurized and much more expensive in the long run. Never actually gives you decent CO2 levels on a tank much over 20 gallons. Eats the KH.

I've never actually met anyone who was happy with the unit.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Never actually gives you decent CO2 levels on a tank much over 20 gallons.
Rex, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I ran mine on a 75gal tank with great results. I had good enough CO2 levels but I also had good KH levels. I wish I had the before pictures of the tank but I don't. All I have is the after pics. But here's the result of the use of the CarboPlus.

That pic was taken after some trimming was done.

I wasn't happy with it either but I wouldn't say that it's worthless, I've seen the results and it does work do what it claims. This product is just not worth all the expense, pressurized is way cheaper, and it is not for all water conditions.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Do you still have and use it? To me that's the measure of a product's worth. If you use it for a short time and move on then you have wasted money on a worthless product.

What kind of CO2 levels were you getting?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I no longer have it, but as I said, I moved and my KH out of the tap is now 1dKH and so it was worthless in my situation. However before that I used it for about a year and a half before I moved. If it wasn't for the fact that it no longer worked for my situation I would probably still be using it.
As for the CO2 levels, I don't really know exactly what they were since I never measured it.

I'm not saying it's worth the money because it definitely is not. If I had it to do all over again I would have gone with the pressurized system. I got it at the time because it was only $75 on eBay and because I was new to heavily planted tanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have one sitting in a box somewhere too. As Rexstated above I used on a 75 gallon tank and could never get a decent CO2 level. Maybe I had too much circulation or something. Unfortunately for me it was before I had found the other planted forum I am member of.

I side with Rex on this one. Don't waste your money and just go directly to pressurized.

If money is no object then buy it and try it and then goto pressurized.

Lou

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Was not planning on getting one, seems too gimmicky. I just see them pop up once in a while and was curious about them. Sounds like they are preying on the "less than adequately informed" CO2'ers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts