The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 33 long this year for a pretty penny and had great plans for it. But now, as it is still sitting empty, and I have no money to get the stand built or equipment, I am wishing I didn't buy it. I've done the same with smaller purchases, but right now I'm feeling.......stupid for wasting money.

Any other similar experiences?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I bought a 33 long this year for a pretty penny and had great plans for it. But now, as it is still sitting empty, and I have no money to get the stand built or equipment, I am wishing I didn't buy it. I've done the same with smaller purchases, but right now I'm feeling.......stupid for wasting money.

Any other similar experiences?
I can relate to this. I have 9 tanks in a 1 bedroom apartment. Only 4 are currently in use. 4 of them haven't been used since I got them. I keep buying tanks that I find for a good deal, but then can't afford to set them up, so they just end up taking up space, not to mention the waste of money. If I would have bought fewer tanks, some of the other ones might be set up right now.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I regret not buying a sponge cover for my aquaclear.. now the impeller is shot. And I regret spending money on complete starter packages for my first two tanks... Instead of buying everything separately.. This forum helps immensely when it comes to avoiding mistakes. I just hope I dont regret buying certain plant species for my 5 gallon. Still not sure what to get lol...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Come on, every aquarium keeper has pile of old crap somewhere that shouldn't have been bought. The fact that your title is "i love bba" pure gold, me too.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
A bottle of Leaf Zone, 5 java ferns from Petco and 6 convict cichlids. (You don't wanna know...)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Oh yes. Many regrets. Much money lost. I think one of my biggest regrets was buying a used metal halide light when I was attempting saltwater reef. Made a day out of driving a few hours to Chicago to pick it up. Tested it at the sellers's house. Got it home. Plugged it in, and promptly blew out the electrical wiring in that side of the house. Hubby rewired the electric outlets and did something at the circuit breaker for me to be able to power up the sun inside our home. But the light never functioned well after that. My attempt at saltwater was a disaster. Ultimately tossed the metal halide light. Money down the drain.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
In just under one short year I have already accumulated a pile of silk plants (replaced with live), various decorations - castles, huts, fake tree stumps - (replaced with driftwood & rocks), 2 Penguin 350 filters (replaced with canisters), various sized charcoal-filled filter replacement pads (replaced with cheap-o filter floss), a bucketful of black gravel (replaced with better substrates), water test strips (replaced with liquid kits), Rid-Ick Plus (used heat & salt instead), Flourish (replaced with Pfertz) and one single bright marineland LED light (replaced with various lights).

I probably missed a few things. Can't wait to see what the pile looks like next year.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Grogan, you can really see my fascination/obsession with algae is over in the algae forum under BBA loves low light, too. :D

Glad to see I am not alone in the buying things I have no use for. I am offering the tank to one person first and if they don't want it, I'll put up a sales add. I've already gotten rid of most of my excess equipment, but this one is depressing me for some reason. Probably the broke part. ;)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah, same here but I adjusted mine by lifting it up a foot.
unfortunately it's not an option for me :icon_cry: i think i might try to cover it with a window screen to lower the light. not sure if it'll work though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.