The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won’t lie I am pretty frightened because I did a test and the nitrite still hasn’t converted (3 weeks)
and I read 8 ppm of ammonia! The snails have cause me so much pain and trouble and I’ve been trying to get rid of them but they keep coming in an even bigger army.
My tank is covered in mule and snail poop and I am currently trying to remove them out with my hand (tweezers won’t work.)
Even scarier, there are these white organisms growing on my glass! Are they worms or parasites? There are so many of the swimming around on my glass!
I use the api test kit but I feel like it’s not very accurate anymore.
I have no idea what’s going on so answers would be very much appreciated

·
Registered
667 Posts
The white organisms are probably copepods, which are harmless and a sign of a healthy tank. They are feeding on algae growing on the glass.

Because of their presence, I doubt your tank has 8 ppm ammonia, as that would kill just about everything. I suspect something is amiss with your test results.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The white organisms are probably copepods, which are harmless and a sign of a healthy tank. They are feeding on algae growing on the glass.

Because of their presence, I doubt your tank has 8 ppm ammonia, as that would kill just about everything. I suspect something is amiss with your test results.
I looked up copepods and it was a match. Thanks!
Ill retest the ammonia whenever I get back home.
I’m thinking of getting another filter because I feel like mine isn’t doing a good job and the nitrites haven‘t gone down in a few weeks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How old and what type of test kit was it?

Have you thought of doing a massive water change just to refresh the tank? And how problematic are the snails for you?
Well, my tank is 2 months old now, although I started the cycle wrong and I learned how to cycle it properly,
so a month and a few weeks.
So for the snails, long story,
At first I saw the snails and i didn’t think they were a problem, but They start reproducing and then there were a million.
and I underestimated their bio load.
So I took them out one by one, but there must’ve been some eggs, so that’s round two and now my tanks covered in poo, and I feel my filter is not very strong, (it was cheap) so It’s messing my cycle up.
This is my first proper tank and I feel like if it weren’t for those snails I would’ve had a successful cycle.
Should I do a water change during the cycle?

Oh and I use the api master test kit

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds like you are overfeeding the tank. Snail populations typically don't go crazy unless there is an abundant food source. This is most likely the reason for your high ammonia reading (although I agree that 8ppm was most likely a false reading. With the water quality issues you're having you should be doing frequent water changes and syphoning up the waste. This is also a perfect time to syphon up any snails in sight. Adding beneficial bacteria after the water change will accelerate the cycling process.

Q: How many gallons is the tank / How much livestock / frequency of water changes?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello ytro,
My tank is 10 gallons and I assume from your questions you think I have added fish already.
I have not and it is still cyclin.
The reason for the overfeeding was because I was having a diatom faze and there was too much food/diatoms for them to eat so they were reproducing.
I have not tried to feed them other than trapping them with romaine lettuce and then digging them out.
My last water change was for a ph change because the ph was too low and it was about 3 weeks ago.
I should do a water change today and remove as much snails as possible.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
So how old is the test kit? Not the tank, but the test kit. When did you buy it and/or when is the listed expiration date?

You absolutely can do a water change during a cycle. Do a 90% or so water change, siphon out all the snails and all the mulm that you can see, and wait 48 hours before testing again. Continue your feeding cycle. during this process.

If you don't want snails, now's a good time to dose alum to kill off all of the snails. The rotting bodies will provide ammonia for the tank, meaning you don't have to feed the tank that much.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So how old is the test kit? Not the tank, but the test kit. When did you buy it and/or when is the listed expiration date?

You absolutely can do a water change during a cycle. Do a 90% or so water change, siphon out all the snails and all the mulm that you can see, and wait 48 hours before testing again. Continue your feeding cycle. during this process.

If you don't want snails, now's a good time to dose alum to kill off all of the snails. The rotting bodies will provide ammonia for the tank, meaning you don't have to feed the tank that much.
I think you are very right.
I got the test kit 2 months ago and used it a lot for both my ten gallon and my 30 gallon.
I think that maybe it was amiss because as there was less liquid and more air getting in it may have affected my test.
And so I will do a water change and all that business.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Between 2023-2025.
I think in the vial
Welp. There's your answer. Buy a small pipette, and when you do your tests, get on eye level and make sure that the bottom of the meniscus (the little upside down dome) is touching the white 5 mL mark. I doubt the solution is expired.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.