The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was just wondering what some of you folks do to solve evaporation issues.

I have small high tech planted tank. The Temperature in San Diego got up to 88 degrees today (Feburary) and it looks 1/2 inch below tank rim. Did water change three days ago.

Just to let you know I have an open top tank and it 8 gallon tank.

Does anybody have a automatic water top off device? And if so, does it work?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I've seen simple top offs made using two liter bottles standing on the edge of tanks. Remember how it works if you turn a glass over under water and then lift it? The water only runs out as long as air can get in. That can make it let water out of the bottle until the tank level is above the bottle neck again and then flow stops. Seems to work for smallish tanks.
Another possible is if you can place a large container behind the tank and at the same level, a siphon between the two will keep the tank level with the container.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
My one 60 litre tank uses two air driven filters that gets pushed with 210l of air per minute, you can imagine the bubbling at the top.
The glass top saves serious amounts of water. I'd kill for a nice cool 88 degrees man. I swear I'm going to melt this summer.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I've seen simple top offs made using two liter bottles standing on the edge of tanks. Remember how it works if you turn a glass over under water and then lift it? The water only runs out as long as air can get in. That can make it let water out of the bottle until the tank level is above the bottle neck again and then flow stops. Seems to work for smallish tanks.
Another possible is if you can place a large container behind the tank and at the same level, a siphon between the two will keep the tank level with the container.
Saltwater systems run open-top exclusively. Before Automated top-off systems came around, what PlantedRich describes is the way most folks handled it.

You can go really crude and use a Kent Aquadoser filled with approximately what it evaporates, daily or longer periods once you get the hang of it. There's lots of similar DIY's in the saltwater forums if you're the type to tinker.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Had a 3g reef tank in my kitchen at one time. Evaporation in a fw isn't a big deal but in a pico reef tank it can be detrimental. I built an ATO out of a 2 liter bottle, cheap float switch and a battery powered air pump. See if I can find some pics.

Didn't see any pics but it's essentially like this one.

https://youtu.be/rOqIB2sz9v8

Except I used the battery powered pump you get for bait buckets. Wire the float switch into the pump. Air hose from the pump goes into the lid of the bottle (above the water line). Another hose that reaches the bottom of the bottle comes out of the lid to the tank (above tank water line). When the float switch senses low level the pump comes on and pressures up the bottle causing it to push water up the other line into the tank until the switch cuts it off.

Keep in mind that the water will run a few extra seconds from residual pressure so leave room when placing switch. Also make sure you get the right kind of switch. It should close the circuit at its lowest point. You can get then for a few bucks on no ebay links allowed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.