The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I ordered Rex's "combo pack" for dry ferts...and I couldn't figure out why all the ferts are described individually how to get "x" ppm.....I thought the whole idea behind EI was not to have to measure or rely on cheap testers (ie, my AP nitrate or phosphate testers).

So, I have been wrestling with this for several days...I couldn't figure out why Rex gave the equations to the nutrients to derive ppm (ie 1.5g will add 8.25ppm of potassium to 20g of water etc)...if we weren't supposed to have to test our water or rely on testers anymore....

And I think I finally got it...no matter WHAT or WHERE your water is from, you are supposed to use this basic dosing schedule below...doesn't matter if my water is hard or soft, or high or low in nitrates, just do the basic schedule per below, right? I mean the whole point of estimative index is not to rely on testing the water....so I assume that Rex just gives the ppm equations for the true freaks out there, and I should just disregard them and do this schedule...

Tank's
40~60gal
50%H20 change-weekly
+/-1/2Tsp KN03 3x a week
+/-1/8Tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/-1/4Tsp K2S04 3x a week
+/-10ml CSM+B 3x a week

1 - 2 of 2 Posts