The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I buy my ferts from GLA and I follow the estimated index. I noticed my nitrates and phosphates spike real high when I dose my macros. I have a good amount of fish in each tank. I’m sure they are producing nitrates as well. Do I cut back on KNO3 and KH2PO4? I’ve been fighting black hair algae for a while now in two of my tanks that have Eco Complete substrate. Does any one else have this issue? I have a 20 gallon, a 2 gallon, 1.5 gallon and a 7.5 gallon. In the tanks where I’m using ADA aqua soil, haven’t had any Algae problems. Any suggestions? Do you keep your nitrates and phosphates at a certain level for your planted tank?

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's a nice looking nano. What's your nitrate and phosphate reading? If you're getting enough from your fish, there's no need to dose more. EI levels are not set in stone. Tom Barr tells people to start high and decrease the levels over time to find out what your plants really need. Your substrate (both Eco Complete and Amazonia) have high CEC so they will absorb quite a bit of nutrients which become available to plant roots.

Is your tank high tech or low tech? I personally don't like doing EI for low tech. There's an EI version for low tech. I tried it a few times and ended up with algae.

I get black hair algae when there's an imbalance of fertilizers or there is too much build up of organics (black beard algae too).

If you can provide us with more details of your different set ups, we should be able to help you better with dosing amounts. Low light or high light, co2 or no co2, nitrate and phosphate readings, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.