The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a number of snails that I've been removing by hand from the glass and on some of the plants.

In fact, thats how they arrived, stashed in my 2nd batch of plants which I didn't realize until it was too late. Apparently they were still in the egg form because I didn't notice them.

Well, that part is moot now but I wanted to know that in the event I accidentally killed a few snails(smashed by the glass)while removing them, are they harmful to the shrimp if they're dead, and will the shrimp eat them ( or do I have to remove them)?

I sure don't want to ruin the water quality.

I've used medicine to cure ICK but I'm not well versed in using chemicals to kill snails due to it possibly killing the shrimp.

These snails aren't very big, maybe 1/4" or so full grown.

Thanks,

Martin

PS: Do snail eggs look like foam on top of the water?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The shrimps would probably devour the smashed snail remains completely. :) No chemicals should be added in a invert tank ever.

Good luck!

-Will

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Will,

I had "heard" of people using chems in an invert tank but IMO the cleanup is a royal PITA.

I'm not sure myself if they like snails on the (broken) half-shell! LOL!

Thx,

Marty

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Hi Will,

I had "heard" of people using chems in an invert tank but IMO the cleanup is a royal PITA.

I'm not sure myself if they like snails on the (broken) half-shell! LOL!

Thx,

Marty
Generally anything that will harm snails will also harm the shrimp in your tank. I would do as the previous person mentioned and crush the snails against (hopefully glass) the side of your tank and let your shrimp clean up :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.