The Planted Tank Forum banner

Erythromicron (Emerald Dwarf) & Margaritatus (Celestial Peal) Danio Mix

3326 3
Recently managed to purchase 4 Emerald Dwarf Rasbora's (yet, classified as Danio's?) from my LFS in the hope they shoal with the 7 CPD's in my tank. Why are these fish under different Genus'?

They're nice looking fish, especially the males colour palette - appearing to be blue, not green? They also hide like crazy, something I was expecting as my initial pack of CPD's took weeks to show their true characters.

The EDR/D's swim rather jittery as well, constantly fluttering their fins as opposed to the CPD's gracious float.

Has anyone had any experience keeping the Emerald Dwarf Rasdanio?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Recently managed to purchase 4 Emerald Dwarf Rasbora's (yet, classified as Danio's?) from my LFS in the hope they shoal with the 7 CPD's in my tank. Why are these fish under different Genus'?

They're nice looking fish, especially the males colour palette - appearing to be blue, not green? They also hide like crazy, something I was expecting as my initial pack of CPD's took weeks to show their true characters.

The EDR/D's swim rather jittery as well, constantly fluttering their fins as opposed to the CPD's gracious float.

Has anyone had any experience keeping the Emerald Dwarf Rasdanio?
they are related, and are both danios. some fish stores still list them under the old names. they will act almost identical, and are pretty skittish. dimmer lighting \ plant cover on the surface will help them feel more at ease

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
...they're not. They once were, but both the celestial pearl and the emerald danio are under the danio genus. Don't even think about keeping them together because they are so closely related that they will without a doubt hybridize.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think hybrids are going to be a problem, eggs spawned are immediately eaten. Plus, the Emerald Danio's keep closely together behind java ferns - no signs of both fish every really making contact in the tank?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.