The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some photos, fresh out of the mail box.
They were sold me as yellow and the photos of the sale were of some lovely yellow shrimp, but as you can see, they aren't yellow.

Are they like some RCS and will they "yellow up" once they destress? OR did I just get 20ish "clear" shrimp? lol

:icon_conf

Attachments

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
shipping stress makes them lose a lot of color. give them a week or two and they'll color back up. Shrimp also try to blend into their backgrounds so if they're on darker substrate they'll be a more brilliant color (the shrimp don't know what color they are)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Should be fine, might just be stressed out. I would put them against something dark so we can tell the difference more.

That said, I got mine from a fellow PT and they came yellow and stayed the same shade.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Stress will cause them to fade some, but they'll regain whatever color they had in a couple days.

I'd reserve judgement until then...but I agree they look very pale right now.

·
Registered
778 Posts
i'll be interested to see how these end up, those look border line snowball clear. Did you get to see any pics of the sellers stock to compare??

·
Registered
290 Posts
In the words of my gf who doesn't know anything about shrimps, everytime she sees a cherry thats pale (usually a male) She says:

"Ghost Shrimp"

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I emailed the seller with the pics I took and just asked kindly if perhaps he may have shipped me the wrong shrimp. I'll see what he says.

·
Registered
890 Posts
If they don't color up and you aren't happy with the color in a few weeks, maybe you could use some plants and we could trade :)

Don't feed them to Mr Pinchy!

lol

·
Registered
782 Posts
I would be disappointed, but I only got shrimp in the mail from one person before, and both occasions the shrimp were bright as Christmas bulbs. Shrimp I got before in person at a group auction were stressed from being in the bag all day, and people gawking at them, still had color.
I can see them being pale for a day or two from a rough USPS trip, like fish, but I can't even see a hint of yellow.
Also, the stock photo doesn't look yellow to me. Looks orange?

-Stef*

·
Registered
64 Posts
shipping stress makes them lose a lot of color. give them a week or two and they'll color back up. Shrimp also try to blend into their backgrounds so if they're on darker substrate they'll be a more brilliant color (the shrimp don't know what color they are)
Thank you for this explanation... I'd always heard dark substrates made them bright, but never figured out how that was adaptive. :)

And great pics, Mamabear, I hope they do get brighter over the next several days!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Also, the stock photo doesn't look yellow to me. Looks orange?

-Stef*

I was thinking the same thing, didn't really look yellow to me but the guys here on the forum ALL have super thick yellow shelled ones, maybe we're just used to seeing pictures of those.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got a really good price on them...so I'm not too wounded if they don't turn out spectacular but I'm still hoping they yellow up a bit more. Those silly Carbon Rilis in there don't show up at all. It's like playing a game of "where's waldo" trying to find those!

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
By the packaging, it looks like ive purchased yellows from this seller as well.. They came in, and stayed very pale. I ended up giving them away.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
By the packaging, it looks like ive purchased yellows from this seller as well.. They came in, and stayed very pale. I ended up giving them away.
Confirmed. Same seller folks. Looks like I got shafted.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts