The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an erio aquaticum and erio parkeri and both have sent out shoots to flower. What should I do? Do they die after flowering? Should I cut of the flower stalks?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Cut em, they will use all the plants energy to make it closer to the light. Plant will die.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Oh noooo :(
I just ordered a bunch of Erio and they would be my first experience with them. How often do they send up flower stalks in everyone's experience?
Mine will be in high tech with very high PAR and tweaked EI dosing if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I had mine happy they were sending them up one after the other, was cutting every few days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
A lot of times, Eriocaulons will all flower together, especially when they have been subjected to some kind of environmental change (such as being transferred to a new tank). If you yank all the inflorescences and things stay stable, they usually won't try to flower again for quite a while. If that does happen, just repeat.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
I have an erio aquaticum and erio parkeri and both have sent out shoots to flower. What should I do? Do they die after flowering? Should I cut of the flower stalks?
Hi tanan,

I agree with Tinanti's statement that they tend to all flower about the same time.

You did not state if the plants are submerged or emersed but in either case they do not die after flowering. Flowering does take a lot of energy from a plant however so I remove the flower stalk before it blooms to allow the plant to save the energy it would use for blooming and seed production for better growth and strength.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got them 20 days ago. Submerged. I'll cut off the flower stalks.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also one of them has two crowns. They are both grown good. Should I separate them or wait out a month or two? How do you propagate those?

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Hi tanan,

What I do is I remove the plant from the substrate, clean the roots, then take a single edge razor blade and carefully cut the two crowns apart being sure to have some roots with each crown......then replant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts