The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it would be possible to grow the really difficult plants - erios and toninas - in my 10g tank. Right now, I've got pressurized CO2 and a 36W PC over the tank, BUT my water is incredibly hard. Last time i tested it, it maxed out the hardness scale (GH and kH) on the indicator strip. Is it possible to grow these plants in these kind of conditions?

Also, i know that erios need an acidic substrate... so i'd have to add peat to my eco-complete, right? How would i go about doing that? could i just stick a little bit into the substrate under where i would plant the erios?

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
most erios and tonina will melt at gh and kh higher than 5 IME. I had to keep mine in Pure RO to keep them alive when I kept them in the past. Oh I miss my Mato Grosso. Also ADA AS I is best but hte peat/ eco may work I don't have any answer for you on that one.

Craig

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
I've been able to grow eriocaulon 'cenerium' and tonina fluvaitilus in my 10g with my liquid rock tap. In that tank, I used ADA AS I. I tried the toninas in my other tank with eco and the toninas didn't last but a week in there. You can try peat, but I've read it can get pretty messy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts