The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a couple of clipping at the latest MASI meeting and I'm not absolutely sure how to care for it. I'm guessing high light is a good place to start. Anyone have any experience with it?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I've got it in a 10-gallon tank now with a 36-watt bulb overhead and an old substrate that's got who knows what in it now. I replaced my DIY CO2 with Excel and EI so I guess we'll have to wait and see how it settles in.

It was kind of pale coming out of the bag so I don't think it's going to get much worse. I'll try to post some photos.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
What's the kH? You should add more CO2, Eriocaulaceae need a lot, and typically soft water.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I planted a few clippings that I got as a bonus from a board member. It is now the dominant species in the tank. It's really beautiful as a large bush. Grows really well in my tank (high light, EI, CO2 injection, soft acidic water, Aquasoil).

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My kH is 2.5 to 3 and the pH hovers around 9.2 out of the tap because the water company uses lots of lime to aid settling, not to mention the chlorimaine. I may have to put the DIY CO2 back in the tank, which is something I'm really not looking forward to today. I have some alternanthera reneckii in the tank as well. It doesn't grow very fast without the CO2, just more compact. Hopefully this will follow with my new addition as well.

What do you think? Give it several weeks without the CO2?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
PH and GH really aren't as important as a low KH. Eriocaulaceae might survive with no CO2, but will likely never reach full potential, at least IME.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is, 12-inches (30mm) away from a 36-watt CF buld. Plenty of room to grow it it will.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts