The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible? It was in a moss-wallI got and now its at the top. netting is fine....but its getting old real fast.

All I have in the tank are 2 emerald cories and a colony of Red Cherry Shrimps. I have heard that mollies would/could eat it, but I am worried about my RCS babies. I suppose they would be okay with the moss wall though, but I unno :/ Any tips to rid this neusaince?(?)

·
Banned
205 Posts
I had a duckweed problem for about 1 hour. I bought some plants that had it in their but when I introduced my Gold Fish to the tank it was gone... Amazing how fast a Goldfish can eat when it wants to. But then again the Goldfish ate several other plants too. :(. On a side note I do have Cherry Shrimp in the same tank with my Goldfish BUT I'm sure if the shrimp were their first the duckweed would still be a problem.

Make sure you pat down your moss as duckweed gets tangled up in it and is hard to break free sometimes.

Best wishes,
James

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
Without introducing any livestock, the best way (if not tedious) is to keep on netting out the Duckweed. Make sure you get every little bit you see, because even the smallest piece is capable of overtaking the entire tank surface.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Duckweed problem

Agitate the water's surface and it will die.

A local Fish shop had a beautiful planted tank and somehow it got duckweed in it. The stuff took over the top of the tank and started robbing the lower plants of so much light they began to die off. The owner was using a shop vac to pull it out and still every couple weeks it was back and covering the surface again. He was about to take down the entire tank when another customer said he was trying to get duckweed to grow in his tank and it wouldn't. After some discussion they concluded that the second guy had a lot of water movement on the surface and the duckweed wouldn't grow.

The Fish shop guy immediately hooked up two power heads with spray bars and agitated the surface. In two weeks all the duckweed was gone.

He said he wouldn't believe it if he hadn't seen it himself. I saw his tank in the over grown mode several times and then right before Christmas and it was clean as a whistle.

I'm not smart enough to make this up.

Best Regards!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.