The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen any of these or have an idea of how to make one? I have a 10g and no way to raise the lights. The lights are Compact Fluorescent Lights which don't generate a lot of heat. My best idea has been mounting the lights iin 5-gallon upside-down buckets and hang the fixture from the power cord.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I really have too much light.

·
Super Moderator
16,963 Posts
Is the fixture in a standard hood that fits on top of a tank? Or is it something you can move around?

Is it possible that you could add a layer of fiberglass window screen to cut your light level down?

Either way, maybe you could consider using a different fixture if you're set on hanging. The standard dome-style shop lights from the hardware store are about $7 and you can use daylight CFLs. Fixtures are easy to paint, customize and suspend above the tank.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Somewhat :eek:,

I have 2 10w CFLs in 2 dome fixtures ("brooder") on a 10g tank with a glass top. What is creating the problem is that I live in an apartment and I can't drill into the ceiling. You're right, though - maybe I can try window screen or something else.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Can you put nails/screws into your walls? I bought shelf brackets to hang my dome lights.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
If you can do holes in the wall, can do L-brackets like said, or I made my own with 2 pieces of wood, some black paint and a black L-bracket to support it to suspend my reptile domes.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
1/2" conduit - if you have a conduit bender - works well if you can attach it to the back of the stand and bend it over the top, a couple feet above the tank. PVC will also work fine for the tiny amount of weight you're talking about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.