The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Need your advice for the following setup of a 54 litres (15g) 60cm x 30cm x 30cm, which will be a planted tank.

Decided equipment :
Filter : Fluval 106 cannister filter (with different coarse size sponges and 1 compartment of bio media)
Substrate : Tropica Aquarium Soil 9 litres
Heater : Eheim 50w heater
CO2 : Pressurized 2 kg cylinder
Diffuser : Aquario Neo Small Special (12mm)
Driftwood : Red moor wood

Undecided equipment :
LED Light : Fluval Aquasky 2.0 (need advice if this will be sufficient to grow plants mentioned below)
Top/Cap gravel : Capped with Akvastabil Haley Black gravel 1.5-2.5mm (may/may not do this)
Surface skimmer : If I keep the stock Fluval 106 inlet and outlet, I think I might need a surface skimmer (unsure yet) due to the concentrated flow.
Lily pipes : Unsure if the stock Fluval 106 outlet will provide a good circulation flow. Should I stick to it or get a set of lily pipes (with/without skimmer) ?

Plants to grow:
Carpeting : Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and Marsilea hirsuta
Midground : Staurogyne repens, Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini',
Background : Rotala rotundifolia, Ludwigia palustris
Others : Anubias, Bucephalandra sp., some crypts, mosses

Fish stock (I have these fish already from another tank except RCS):
7 Carinal Tetras
6 Harlequin Rasboras
7 Amano Shrimps
Red Cherry Shrimps (undecided)

My concerns are:
1) Is the LED lighting of Fluval Aquasky 2.0 sufficient for the plant growth of plants mentioned above ?
2) Should I switch to Lily pipes for better surface agitation and circulation
3) Would I need a surface skimmer ?
4) Would I need an air pump ?

Appreciate your advice 馃槉

Regards,
Mel.

Registered
About the light, you might check Chihiros WRGB 2. I am quite happy with this light. If you have proper surface agitation, I don't think you might need an air pump.

Registered
The light should be sufficient on this tank to grow the plants you are growing.

I like stainless steel lily pipes with built in skimmers, but they are not required. A little bit of surface agitation can get you similar results. Personally I would switch to stainless steel lily pipes because they look better.

Most people do not use an air stone and co2 at the same time because the air stone will degass your co2.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The light should be sufficient on this tank to grow the plants you are growing.

I like stainless steel lily pipes with built in skimmers, but they are not required. A little bit of surface agitation can get you similar results. Personally I would switch to stainless steel lily pipes because they look better.

Most people do not use an air stone and co2 at the same time because the air stone will degass your co2.
My main concern is the lighting and I would be happy if the Fluval Aquasky 2.0 would be sufficient. I live in Denmark so I have limited equipment options to keep it within budget :).

I was thinking of just sticking with the supplied Fluval 106 inlet and outlet and maybe later upgrade to standard lily pipes. Do stainless steel lily pipes have issues with rust ?

I think I will also get a APS-Skim 2 or SunSun JY03 skimmer (still deciding between the two) which will only be turned on before/after CO2 period, so I don't think I would need an air stone atleast.

Registered
My main concern is the lighting and I would be happy if the Fluval Aquasky 2.0 would be sufficient. I live in Denmark so I have limited equipment options to keep it within budget :).

I was thinking of just sticking with the supplied Fluval 106 inlet and outlet and maybe later upgrade to standard lily pipes. Do stainless steel lily pipes have issues with rust ?

I think I will also get a APS-Skim 2 or SunSun JY03 skimmer (still deciding between the two) which will only be turned on before/after CO2 period, so I don't think I would need an air stone atleast.
No stainless steel pipes won't rust. I like them more then glass for maintenance. Glass pipes look better for the 1 or 2 days they are clean and then look worse as gunk builds up inside them until they next maintenance day where you need to take them apart and clean out the inside as well as the outside. The stainless steel pipes just need the outside wiped down when you do your water change maintenance. No need to remove them from the line or even the tank. Plus you will never shatter a stainless steel pipe when cleaning or dropping etc.

For the skimmer, its your tank so go with whatever you like, but personally I try to keep as much equipment out of the tank as possible. In my 2 show tanks the only thing inside the tank is lily pipes. Everything else is handled outside the tank.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No stainless steel pipes won't rust. I like them more then glass for maintenance. Glass pipes look better for the 1 or 2 days they are clean and then look worse as gunk builds up inside them until they next maintenance day where you need to take them apart and clean out the inside as well as the outside. The stainless steel pipes just need the outside wiped down when you do your water change maintenance. No need to remove them from the line or even the tank. Plus you will never shatter a stainless steel pipe when cleaning or dropping etc.

For the skimmer, its your tank so go with whatever you like, but personally I try to keep as much equipment out of the tank as possible. In my 2 show tanks the only thing inside the tank is lily pipes. Everything else is handled outside the tank.
Thanks a lot for your inputs :). I will start looking into stainless steel lily pipes. The skimmer is something I will look at only after a later point of time, depending on the tank condition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts