The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Epiphyte Laden Branch

I got the idea for this project in part from this tank...

Crazydaz's Square 200G Strikes Back! Update 12/7...

I have a pretty good start and it is very simple. I mounted a manzanita branch feature in a 30G fish tank (36" X 17" X 12") and I will plant it with miniature orchids, small epiphytic ferns and mosses.

I will also add a gravel substrate to the bottom along with very shallow water. I put three gallons of water in the tank for this shot and I won't use much more than that for the complete setup. I want to add a group of some kind of very small micro fish, such as a Boraras sp., Heterandria formosa or Neoheterandria elegans

I'll have more pictures on the way pretty soon.

·
Returning. Videotapes.
1,389 Posts
This has amazing potential, Devin!! You have a great eye for these type of setups.....are you planning on adding a glass top? It would a great way to keep the humidity in and avoid having to mist hardly at all. Or, will it be open-top to allow for potential plant growth??

Either way, it will look sweet!

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
cool idea! i wish you had use one long piece of wood though! or at least two pieces that look more alike, the texture on the two pieces is really different...

what orchids are you planning on?? and what temps will this be?

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here it is planted. There are three different little orchids on there and several mini ferns. I want to add a couple more orchids. This thing take a while to grow in. I'm going to wait until the epiphytes start to cover pretty well before worrying about fish.

·
Returning. Videotapes.
1,389 Posts
There we go! Nice! It'll be interesting to see monthly updates and watch it grow over the coming eight months, or so. You have the top sealed up with a glass cover I take it? Sweet mounting job, man!! Wait until it gets flowers!

You should put another branch in there!!

Question: What is a "mini-fern" exactly?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.