The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased 5 gbrs and started them off on bloodworms. I've tried to wean them off to omega one color flakes but they just spit. Having recently talked to the local breeder, I was told they had been fed flake and pellets all along and are now just spoiled....just give them a couple days of flake and they'll adjust--they haven't.

Suggestions? My real question is how long will they go on hunger strike before they weaken significantly? I've heard that fish (like humans) can go three weeks without food, but I'm not out to test any theories here. If I need to switch to a pellet can anyone suggest one that's readily available and suitable to their maddeningly discriminating palates?

BTW, a concurrent problem is that I now have a thriving school of cardinals (finally!). They, however, feed more like a school of rainbows. Maybe it's been too long since I've had a school to remember accurately, but these guys are ninjas.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I've left my fish for 10 days with no food and no losses before. As long as the GBR look well fed now I wouldn't worry about it.

I routinely fast fish for 2 or 3 days before worming them and have never had any issues (I use a medicated flake food that I've learned some fish will pass up unless I fast them first).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.