The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 20# CO2 cylinder is finally running out. It's dropped to 500 psi so all the liquid is gone and it's running on the compressed gas. However I noticed a large increase in the bubble counter at the start of today's 8 hr run. I have the pressure set to 60 kPa so I could have more needle valve control adjustment range. Well today it was just over 100 kPa and bubbling like crazy. So I bumped it to a much higher 30 psi and readjusted the bubble counter. I'm thinking a small ~40 kPa change of pressure at 30 psi won't be as big a deal as it was at the very bottom of the regulator's pressure control range I was running at.

·
Registered
641 Posts
huh . . . My 20 pounder just ran out too, but I didn't have any problems! :biggrin:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/g...-how-long-does-your-co2-tank.html#post1846398

Actually, I've read that if you run higher in the regulators range, the EOTD variation is dramatically less noticible. Going from 5 to 20 PSI is 4X different but going from 50 to 65 is only about 30% of an increase. ++shrug++ ...or you can put together an absurd regulator train like mine, sit in your high tower, and smugly laugh at everyone else's problems! ;)

EOTD worry warts: Meet your God! LOL @ DIY Regulator

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pHosting/f/9113_EOTD3c.jpg

·
Registered
641 Posts
I take it you didn't have a massive fish kill, 'cause that's what really matters . . . Way to stay on top of things! :proud:

I have to confess I didn't even notice my cylinder was running out until the bubbles abruptly stopped. :icon_roll

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah with CO2 there's no such thing as 'set it and forget it' even if you have a dual stage regulator. Gotta keep a close eye on things. I was lucky I saw this in time. Glad I had a bubble counter. By the time I looked at the DC later in the day it might have been too late.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts