The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me. I have a 45 Gal High Tank using an 4 bulb T5Ho set-up. I am using the following bulbs - Aquatic Life T5-HO (4 Bulbs)
2 x39w -Giesemann PowerChrome
Midday T5 Lamps
2 x 39w -Plant Grow T5 Lamps
by AquaMedic
I now leave them on from 2:00 P.M. to 10:00 P.M. but I seem to be getting Alage on the glass and top leaves of the plants. I do about a 40 % Perecnt water change every other week. I dose CO2 and fertilize reguarly. Should I cut back on the number of bulbs or the amount of time the lights are kept on. All water parameters are good and Phospahtes are low.

·
Registered
863 Posts
You dose CO2? You mean have a CO2 tank up and running or you're using some carbon source and are calling that CO2? 4xT5ho is A LoT of a 40g breeder. That's dang near mid summer sun light lol. I'd cut it down. Maybe only run all 4 bulbs for 3-4 hours a day and 8 hours with 2 bulbs

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Have a look in the lighting forum and see if anyone has tested the PAR for those bulbs.

T5HO is VERY high output, and I think there is way too much light.

I would keep fewer bulbs on most of the time, and you might not even need a mid-day burst.

Check that the CO2 you are adding is getting well distributed throughout the tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You dose CO2? You mean have a CO2 tank up and running or you're using some carbon source and are calling that CO2? 4xT5ho is A LoT of a 40g breeder. That's dang near mid summer sun light lol. I'd cut it down. Maybe only run all 4 bulbs for 3-4 hours a day and 8 hours with 2 bulbs
I mean I have an automated Co2 Setup with a controller and probe. I use an Aqua Medic 500 for C02 Disperson and sometimes change out the 500 with a glass diffuser when I cleaning the tank. The diffuser is near the output flow of my filter so the small bubbles are moved around the aquarium.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plants are growing well as I constantly have to prune them, I will take your suggestion and go to 2 bulbs for 8 hours a day and see how that works.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
it can be done but u need more carbon if ur getting algae, and exceptional tank maintenance

i have 96 watts with great reflectors (aquatic life is decent) over my 29 gallon and thigns grow fast and great but algae is ever lurking. if i even look at my needle valve wrong algae will show its face

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.