The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about making the plunge into CO2. Right now I have four 40 watt T8 bulbs 19" off the substrate. I also just started dosing using the PPS method. All my plants at this point is low light stuff...moss, Java fern, Wendii's. I was just wondering if CO2 would do me any good at this point or should I wait until I get better lights? As far as lights, 2x54 T5HO is plenty for my tank?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The problem lighting a 75 gallon tank is the front to back depth, which makes it difficult to get good uniform lighting with a single T5HO bulb. But, two T5HO bulbs widely separated, by 8 inches or so, will do a good job lighting the tank. You can get Catalina Aquarium to build you a custom light, using a housing designed for an 8 bulb light, but with only two bulbs installed at the front and back.

Three T12 bulbs should give you good low light on that tank, and CO2 will speed up the plant growth rate considerably. Just be sure to fertilize enough to supply the plants needs at the higher growth rate.

The "best" way to light the tank would be a 4 bulb T5HO light suspended about 18-20 inches above the top of the tank. That keeps you from having very high light intensity near the top of the tank, while having only low medium light near the substrate. With the light that high above the tank you reduce the intensity near the top of the tank to a much more reasonable level.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts