The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
I have a 36 gallon planted tank with whats considered med light. My tank has been up and running for about 4 months now. Last week I bought a drop checker and it says my co2 is insufficient but Im counting 1-2 bubbles per second coming into the diffuser.I have my deffuser under my small hob filter to help spread the co2. Im starting to get algae on some of my plants. I dose 2x a week. I run my lights and co2 for about 10 hrs a day. Right now my fish are swimming and playing as normal none are at the top gasping for air. Im thinking I should turn the co2 up?
Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would , but do it when you are home so you can watch the fish behavior . going back to bubbles per second thing ... unless all bubble counters were the same ( which they are not) you can't compare bps rates with other users...the bps on your counter will only be good for you to know what it should be(for future) , once you find that sweet spot.
Thats what I think anyways...

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kubalik
How long does it take for the color to start changing on my dc? Will the algae go away once I get the co2 at the correct levels? Oh Yeah I forgot Im doing weekly water changes of about 10 gallon.

·
Registered
135 Posts
DC(s) should take about 2 hours for a change in color. You will see the reaction in your live stock before you see the DC change color if you've dialed it too high. Are you using 4 dkh solution in the DC?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks rlswaney
right now the fish are all fine I just turned it up the tinniest bit will give it a cpl of hrs to see how that goes.
ps
Im from Augusta ga been up in nyc for about 20 yrs but go back 2x a yr to visit fam

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thanks Kubalik
How long does it take for the color to start changing on my dc? Will the algae go away once I get the co2 at the correct levels? Oh Yeah I forgot Im doing weekly water changes of about 10 gallon.
it all depends on what caused the algae ... have you been stirring up the substrate , replanting , trimming latly ? if you haven't most likely increasing co2 will help ...good luck

·
Tírëd Äßóût ╦σ RÉ├írë.
4,777 Posts
Insufficient info: Need more info about light, filter etc....why 10 hours lighting, wasting energy...

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it all depends on what caused the algae ... have you been stirring up the substrate , replanting , trimming latly ? if you haven't most likely increasing co2 will help ...good luck
Thanks Kubalik no havent been doing any planting or triming but I did put a new layer of sub in my tank a cpl of weeks ago

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Insufficient info: Need more info about light, filter etc....why 10 hours lighting, wasting energy...
Thanks Joraan
for lights I have 3 led spot lights that I have pointed at high light plants then I have 48 watts of ho lights and a strip that came with the tank. I have 2 hob filters a small one not sure what the name is its for a 10 gallon tank then I have a Marineland filter its rated I think for a 40 gallon tank. I do water changes weekly I feed twice a day and I have about 30 fish that are all less than an inch.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok Ive made some adjustments.
1. Ive turned my timers so that my lights will be on for 7 hrs a day.
2. My co2 will now come on an hr before my lights and go off and hr before my lights.
3. I noticed since I had the diffuser under the smaller filter most of the bubbles were staying on one side of the tank so I moved it so its now under the larger hob filter and I can already see the difference in distribution of the bubbles.
4. I also turned up a tiny bit the co2 that is

·
Tírëd Äßóût ╦σ RÉ├írë.
4,777 Posts
Thanks Joraan
for lights I have 3 led spot lights that I have pointed at high light plants then I have 48 watts of ho lights and a strip that came with the tank. I have 2 hob filters a small one not sure what the name is its for a 10 gallon tank then I have a Marineland filter its rated I think for a 40 gallon tank. I do water changes weekly I feed twice a day and I have about 30 fish that are all less than an inch.
It will be good if you diffuse co2 via canister, but it seems you have HOB, you can get small nano filter for less then $10 in petco and use it as co2 diffuser... this way co2 will be distributed all over...and extra is flow is always good for plants/fish.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ok Ive made some adjustments.
1. Ive turned my timers so that my lights will be on for 7 hrs a day.
2. My co2 will now come on an hr before my lights and go off and hr before my lights.
3. I noticed since I had the diffuser under the smaller filter most of the bubbles were staying on one side of the tank so I moved it so its now under the larger hob filter and I can already see the difference in distribution of the bubbles.
4. I also turned up a tiny bit the co2 that is

In #3 you say that co2 were visible only on one side of the tank... did the algea appear on that side of the tank ? or on the other side ? or both ?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks Kubalik
on both sides under the leds(thats why Im only going to run those about 4 hrs a day) but mostly on the side that had less bubbles

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Joraan
I pulled up th link but whn I pulled up the petco link on the first link it says item no longer avail but I will look around

·
Registered
345 Posts
+1 canister as diffuser is great plus it also solve the bubble issue in most cases.

It will be good if you diffuse co2 via canister, but it seems you have HOB, you can get small nano filter for less then $10 in petco and use it as co2 diffuser... this way co2 will be distributed all over...and extra is flow is always good for plants/fish.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Wingo
so if I have this right I would no longer need the diffuser I would hook the tubing right up to the nano filter? How would I count the bubbles? I think Im supposed to be counting them in that little thing in the middle of the tubing but it has no water in it so I always count in the diffuser.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts