The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
About 3 weeks ago I purchased a couple endlers (a male and female). I was hoping they would do what livebearers naturally do and make some babies. However, this has not been the case.

The male tries constantly to mate with the female, but the female seems less receptive. She almost seems as though she does not notice him at all. She is always busy swimming around picking at plants and algae.

I though maybe she was gravid, but she isn't plumping up at all. And now that it's been 3 weeks I'm starting to wonder what the deal is.

My water is on the softer side (i know livebearers prefer hard water but I have read that endlers can handle softwater), lots of plants, i feed live food and ADA food, tank has been set up for 6 months.

How can I improve the chances of them breeding?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Give it time for sure.

2 things i have noticed with Endlers vs Guppies/platies/swordtail

My female guppies will be super gravid, looking as though they will pop. It's a obvious sign they will give birth soon (2-3 days)..Often to 20+ fry , depending on the size of the Adult.

However, since i have been keeping endlers. i have noticed that they don't get as gravid and it shows in the amount of fry they have (10-12 being a large amount of fry) for my colony.
______________________________________________________________________-

I said that to tell you this. I used to treat my Endlers as guppies and wait untill they were "super plump gravid" to seperate them to a breeder trap. I was never able to catch this. I would wake up in the morning to find a female that seemed "not ready", completly thin from dropping fry.

In the tank i have a moss covered area where 1-3 fry would hide out to avoid predation. They eventually fall prey! None has grown out past eating size in my display tank.
I am sure there are times where 100% of that nights fry was eaten and i never knew a birth took place. This could be the case with you. Do you only house Endlers in your tank?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very good. Thanks for the responses guys. I wondered if they were a bit young. They are both still very small.
I too have them in a display tank with other fish. I was trying to make sure to move the female out to a fry tank just before giving birth.

Again thanks for the info!
I will give them some more time indeed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.