The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of shocked here. Had my tank for about six months, well established, my population of tiger endlers that started at 12 is now at LEAST 40 or so. 75G tank. I wanted to add a bit more variety in the tank and love Angelfish (I realize the Angelfish will likely eat some of them once they are larger), so I purchased three 50 cent size angels from a reputable online retailer. All survived the overnight trip, were swimming fine, even eating a little.

I wake up this morning and two are missing. Found the first dead on the ground, getting picked at by some baby endlers. Figured, ok maybe I lost one. The second one is for real MIA - no idea where he is. The third looked good this morning, swimming fine, eating fine. I look over this afternoon and a male endler is straight up attacking the angels eyeballs. Angel is trying to get away but clearly disoriented and for sure isn't going to survive the onslaught. I've never seen this amongst the tank inhabitants, maybe the Endlers are super territorial?! They share the tank with a large black Molly and some Cardinal Tetras.

Perhaps I need to be using an acrylic box for new additions? $60 out the window!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The endlers are attacking the angelfish cuz they're either dead or dying. The only thing that an endler would straight out kill are ones that can fit into their tiny mouths. I suggest quarantining any new additions in the future since the shock of shipping can mess fish up.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Endlers are quite peaceful. Like @Red Leader mentions, all fish will take an opportunity to make an easy meal of something that just died or is they sense is dying (which means still fresh).

The only other thing I can think of is some kind of mobbing behavior since an Angel fish would be a predator to the Endlers. But I don't think fish exhibit mobbing, they aren't smart like birds and other animals that do that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.