The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 male endlers and all they do is swim against the glass up and down. I know they're healthy because theyre the first ones come up to the top when I approach the tank during feeding, and back to their corner after. Will their behavior change if I add 6 females? thanks

·
Registered
789 Posts
You really should condense your Endler threads...

Because they come to the top for food does not automatically mean they are healthy. You have given any other tank parameters for anyone really give you any opinions. My Endlers vary in location in my 40 gallon. They hang out at the surface some when they see people moving around but otherwise they are chasing each other, picking, or just swimming around and through my plants.

The behavior you describe almost sounds like they are trying to get away from something. Maybe they don't like the temp or other parameters, maybe another type of fish that is stressing them, something with the water flow in the tank?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You really should condense your Endler threads...

Because they come to the top for food does not automatically mean they are healthy. You have given any other tank parameters for anyone really give you any opinions. My Endlers vary in location in my 40 gallon. They hang out at the surface some when they see people moving around but otherwise they are chasing each other, picking, or just swimming around and through my plants.

The behavior you describe almost sounds like they are trying to get away from something. Maybe they don't like the temp or other parameters, maybe another type of fish that is stressing them, something with the water flow in the tank?
My other endler thread are already lost in the mix and I doubt I'll get response if continued to post in the old thread. I should just catch them and take them to petco where they can a better life I guess.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A lot of fish will chase their reflection. My betta chases and flares at his, my gourami is always either hiding in the amazon swords or chasing his reflection up and down the glass, my convict cichlid will flare at the glass. At least I think the convict is flaring at the glass but he might be flaring at me. Fish are like dogs in water, they do goofy things like chase themselves and us, if they're happy and healthy it's ok

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have 4 males and since they have been in there they have been mental, swimming all over together high and low quickly and slowly seems like they are playing or something!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just feel bad that they aren't acting happy considering the water has been adjusted to their needs, along with rasboras and RCS. I have two options, either I get 5 guppy females or take them to LFS. I'm leaning towards getting females and hoping the rasboras will take care of the frys.

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
When my guppies do that, it's an indicator that there's an ammonia spike or something. However, it's so slight that the tests can't measure it. This usually happens when I rinse out my filter media.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When my guppies do that, it's an indicator that there's an ammonia spike or something. However, it's so slight that the tests can't measure it. This usually happens when I rinse out my filter media.
They've been like that since I got them. I have over 100 RCS with babies and rasboras all doing fine. I also do 30% water change twice a week and twice the bio media in the AC 70 in a 17g tank. They're the ones to be first to come up during feeding. In the morning before lights on they're up top waiting for food, I even dim the lights, so not sure what's going on. I'll get the females and if they don't change, I'll rehome them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts