The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know I'm going to get yelled at but I have suceeded. I've been trying to cross my green lightning endlers with a red Picta. Well I'm pretty sure I have done it. The males are still coloring more daily but you can see the orange on their sides is not green and it's a different shade orange than the tail

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Not bad! However, keep in mind that picta hybrids are known for being somewhat weak even though they are often fertile, so keep an eye on water parameters.

By the way, how do you maintain/breed the purebred picta? I've read that they are surprisingly frustrating to work with.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i have some of lotsoffish's red picta x super cross guppies and the males look some what like this. they are smaller than male guppies but the females still get good sized.

·
Registered
887 Posts
i changed the water in 6 tanks on sunday.. about 50%..

i had about 6 fish.. and my BEST ENDLER/PICTA MALE!!!!!!!!!!!

died in two days..WTH! :(

so are they weak?! i may say yes!! d*mn them fish!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
mine dont seem to be week. i do 50% water changes on my cross every other week. i have one male with now 4 females. tank is pretty heavily planted. there are 3 berlin black swords in the tank with them and i have heard that picta are bad fry eaters so that might be why i dont have more. well and the sword eat fry too but i have managed to save a couple any way

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My pure red Picta died on me 2 days ago. I do weekly 50% water changes and have had no issues. The Picta was older and there was no trauma or distress so I'm going with old age as a cause of death. So far they are thriving and some of the females are preggo.

·
Registered
887 Posts
My pure red Picta died on me 2 days ago. I do weekly 50% water changes and have had no issues. The Picta was older and there was no trauma or distress so I'm going with old age as a cause of death. So far they are thriving and some of the females are preggo.
i have red picta coming in from peter on friday.. hope they do well :)

ps.. the rest of my picta x endlers are doing well.. i don't know what was in water that caused issue..

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure they'll be fine. Pete's fish are top quality. I'm spoiled living so close to him. We swap things back and forth. He's the one that challenged me to cross breed the two like his guppy/Picta cross.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts