The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get a nice group of male endlers but they were expensive at my lfs so got few males and a female. The first set was only 3 fry of two males and 1 female. Second set of fry was a batch of 25. I have been staring at them like a hawk since day 1 to find out which were males and females to separate them. I looked up a bunch of info to tell the difference and they all looked the same. Well now I know why! Now I can see that I have 1 male and 24 females. I've read that temp might make a difference between the male/fem. Has anyone experienced this huge diffrence between males and females in a batch of fry?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I've never had that big of a difference in sexes of any of my endlers/ guppy hybrids. I've had them in unheated and heated tanks and I've noticed more males in warmer temperatures and more females in cooler temperatures but never more than a 5/1 ratio. You might want to keep in mind that it can take a little while (2-3 weeks) for the gonopdium to show up on fry. Until then they will all look indiscernible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your answer. They're 6 weeks old now. I can see the gonopodium on one but he's still grey like the females. I hope I'm wrong. I've separated the one male and still waiting to see if all the ones that I believe are females start showing colors.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I think temperatures may have a lot to do with it then, unheated my tanks remain around 70°, my heated tanks I've kept endlers in remained around 76° maybe that's why I've never seen such a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.