The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the look of Endler livebearers and would like to have a colony in my 55 gallon. The LFS sells endlers. I am sure these are K class and they go for around $5.00 CND. I figure that I can reasonably fit about 50+ in my tank but do not want to buy that much. The LFS that I go to just got in some endler females from a local guy and I picked up 6 of them and put them in my tank. Question, can I just let a colony grow out from the females? I'm not new to fish keeping but new to breeding so just wanted some opinion or advice. Oh just to be clear, the females were in a tank with male endlers so I am sure they are pregnant.

Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not sure about Endlers, but Guppies can store sperm. So, if they were in a tank with males, the genetics and color patterns of those fry, for the next 6 months or so would be anyone's guess. You have the potential for a batch every month depending on conditions. If you are breeding for a type, you'll have to take that into account.

It won't take long to populate that 55, so don't worry about buying a lot to start with. Before long you'll be "swimming" in Endlers.. I crack myself up :)

Reactions: Econde

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I guess what I'm nervous about is that there will be multiple strains mixed up in the colony. Is that good or bad? I'm not doing this to sell or make money just to have a good looking colony and have a tank where I can watch multiple generations interact.

·
Registered
363 Posts
You will be overrun with them. Start planning on what to do. So... were the Endlers in a tank with other guppies? If so, the breeding is suspect. I got to about 100 in a 30 gallon. Weekly I'd pull them all out and sex them, anybody who was colored up went into the Boys' tank. But still, they kept on growing. Of course the tank crashed and I lost most of them. I do miss them though, I've thought about getting a boy's only colony growing, or maybe a mixed group in a tank with predators.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will be overrun with them. Start planning on what to do. So... were the Endlers in a tank with other guppies? If so, the breeding is suspect. I got to about 100 in a 30 gallon. Weekly I'd pull them all out and sex them, anybody who was colored up went into the Boys' tank. But still, they kept on growing. Of course the tank crashed and I lost most of them. I do miss them though, I've thought about getting a boy's only colony growing, or maybe a mixed group in a tank with predators.
The females were housed in his endler tank but yes I don't know exactly where they came from. We are just talking about K class endlers anyway. I have read that a colony will eventually limit themselves in population, is that right? Anyway, my plan is to cull any defects and give away adults to lower the population.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The females were housed in his endler tank but yes I don't know exactly where they came from. We are just talking about K class endlers anyway. I have read that a colony will eventually limit themselves in population, is that right? Anyway, my plan is to cull any defects and give away adults to lower the population.
Oh, I had a brain fart. K, not N. Oops. Yeah, you should be fine. Some of the K's are gorgeous. I have a pale blue guppy with a lot of endler in it in my 4 gallon desk tank. He plays tag with his orange guppy, also male, all day long. It is great fun during boring meetings!

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you aren't doing a breeding project, then I'd say enjoy the surprises. It is a good idea to have a back-up plan for overpopulation. I put all my males in my wife's 55 gallon that has emperor tetras and a few female gouramis. It added color to her tank and they all get along great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts