The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a B. longifolia bulb (the red variety) that seems healthy. I've had it for a little over two months. I planted it buried about halfway in a small pot to restrict the roots for a while. I know this plant can grow very large, and will probably outgrow the little tank I have it in eventually. But it's still tiny. The leaves it's put out appear healthy, yet are very small and not growing very fast at all. It is at room temperature right now, but I could add a heater if that could improve growth. I could also add CO2.

Is this typical growth rate for this plant? Any tips on how to get it growing better and color up? I will attach a photo in a reply.

The plant in question. The dwarf hair grass is taller than this lily. It has about ten leaves.

IMG_7116.jpg IMG_7114.jpg

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
From what I've experienced with this plant is it's not a quick grower and will only look copper/ bronze if not provided with high intensity lighting/ CO2 injection. If you're looking for a neon red color with it and quicker growth you are going to need to go high tech. If you are okay with a less vivid hue and only moderate growth it'll just take a little longer but it should grow perfectly fine. I've only been able to work with this plant on 2 occasions and not in my own personal tanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. The light it’s getting should be sufficient. I started off with diy CO2 in this tank to help the hairgrass establish faster. But I removed that a few weeks ago. Maybe some CO2 would be the way to go then if I want to give it some help?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yes it should be. 1 was planted in a high tech (bright red, grew relatively quick) and 1 was in a walstad with added light for 6 hours full (grew at a medium pace and was copperish coloured). I've never been able to find them since. It's a very nice plant, nice score 😁👍

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Best thing I can tell you is to just plant it where you want it and leave it alone. Every time I move mine it drops all of its leaves and goes dormant for a couple months, and then starts out with small 6-8" leaves for a time, and then out of the blue it will start shooting out 24-36" leaves. I trim any leaf that is damaged, and any leaf that is getting longer than i want to have, and it just plugs along. I put root tabs under the plant every few months and it just grows.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This one is in a walstad tank. Very low tech, with only an LED light right now. Planning to upgrade to something slightly larger soon, so hopefully moving tanks won't stress it too much. I do dose flourish weekly but have not ever used root tabs.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I never tried to move them but it makes sense that they'd throw a temper tantrum, I've found most bulbs do. They do really well in walstads, gorgeous contrast color.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts