The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Ello all! This question is exactly what it sounds like...can you grow Enchinodorus swords as potted houseplants with only the roots and maybe a little of the rosette in water? Or do they require more effort than that to grow emersed?

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I've grown an Argentinian sword emersed... you need to keep high humidity (I'd say 80% or more) or the leaves dry out real fast. I kept mine in a vase with a lid. So unless you live in a tropical jungle with an open air hour and no ac in say Asia or South America I don't think that will work
Better emersed plants for the home that can tolerate low humility:
creeping jenny
ludwigias
money wort
mosses-as long as the bottom of the moss is in water it wicks up moisture

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Enchinodorus will grow as long as the plant has water saturated substrate an inch or two below surface. I have grown it on the terrace out-doors where they have flowered and borne seeds. My home town is famous for its dry climate.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Enchinodorus will grow as long as the plant has water saturated substrate an inch or two below surface. I have grown it on the terrace out-doors where they have flowered and borne seeds. My home town is famous for its dry climate.
OK...that's good :) Do you need to acclimate swords to such treatment first with a humid aquarium and/or misting (perhaps by steadily misting the plant less and less and eventually removing the plastic wrap from the tank top)? I was planning on buying an emersed sword to start with (likely E. Reni, a relatively small species that gets to 10 inches wide). What would be a good pot size to use?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
A 10" flower pot would suffice - you could always repot it into a larger pot as it grows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.