The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this little tank just sitting around begging to be filled with something. Now I may or may not put a little live critter in there, I could just turn in to a living vivi with no critters. I could even make the bottom half a little shrimp area and the top plants.

Ideas are more than welcome, if this is in the wrong place the mods are more than welcome to move this thread.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
i hope you know that this thread is going to blow up at any time with ideas

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, its been decided its going on my moms new desk at work.

Havent decided what we are doing critter wise yet. I will be inserting and using aquarium sealant to place in a divider in the bottom to make room for some dirt, and separate it out from a bit of water.

(She hates spiders so as much as I would love to do that.)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Browns going to be the dirt
Black will be the plastic that's sealed down to keep dirt from water
and the blue will be the water.

Shes now wanting shrimp instead of a herp. or amphibian. She originally wanted to do dart frogs in it, but after explaining how to feed them, she decided to do shrimp instead.

So it seems Ill need this moved to shrimp instead of herps and amphibians.

Not sure how this will work out, but I will take photos as I move along.

·
Registered
455 Posts
May I suggest using a glass divider instead of a plastic one. Silicone sticks much better to glass than most plastics.

Good Luck with the build!

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
if you dont do a paludarium, get day geckos. i LOVED mine (had a kick-ass pair of p. laticuada, got pics if youre interested). p. klemmeri are small, and you could keep a pair of them in there. get an incubator for the eggs and your in business. or just get an individual as a cute little animal if you dont want to breed.
and you dont have to feed live food. repashy has a MRP that works great.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you dont do a paludarium, get day geckos. i LOVED mine (had a kick-ass pair of p. laticuada, got pics if youre interested). p. klemmeri are small, and you could keep a pair of them in there. get an incubator for the eggs and your in business. or just get an individual as a cute little animal if you dont want to breed.
and you dont have to feed live food. repashy has a MRP that works great.

A 12x12 would be to small for most day geckos imo, p. laticuada gets about 9 inches.

I've done the whole breed reptiles before, not something I want to do again currently, maybe down the line. Ive currently got my hands full with my breeding pair of chinchillas and rats.

Most cute lizards she likes, (That I can easily get my hands on with out spending an arm and a leg) would out grow the cage.

We would be putting her chameleon on her desk if the cage was not so big haha.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
May I suggest using a glass divider instead of a plastic one. Silicone sticks much better to glass than most plastics.

Good Luck with the build!

Its going to be plastic, no clue where I would get my hands on glass. That and I am way to paranoid about the glass breaking.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
A 12x12 would be to small for most day geckos imo, p. laticuada gets about 9 inches.

I've done the whole breed reptiles before, not something I want to do again currently, maybe down the line. Ive currently got my hands full with my breeding pair of chinchillas and rats.

Most cute lizards she likes, (That I can easily get my hands on with out spending an arm and a leg) would out grow the cage.

We would be putting her chameleon on her desk if the cage was not so big haha.
p. laticauda is too big, but p. klemeri should be ok.
btw, are you talking about total length when you say 9"? im used to just see snout-vent length, so i was a bit surprised to hear 9 til i relaized you might mean from nose to tail tip.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
p. laticauda is too big, but p. klemeri should be ok.
btw, are you talking about total length when you say 9"? im used to just see snout-vent length, so i was a bit surprised to hear 9 til i relaized you might mean from nose to tail tip.

Yes I mean tip to tail haha, sorry about that. I am unsure where I would even find p. Klemeri, I have only seen them online before, never in stores.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
i got my p. laticuada pair online, and sold their offspring online.
shipped usps express and had no issues.
http://www.geckoranch.com/ breeds p. klemmeri i believe. and then you have faunaclassifieds and such also where you can probably find one cheaper.

but if the tanks gonna house shrimp, it wont house a phelsuma, so its a moot point.
just thought id throw in the idea since i fell in love with this genus and cant wait until i get keep them again (no room at the moment).

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It just occurred to me I could do a newt.. A small one, it would be prefect...

Anyone know anything about them? I am personally only familiar with the fire-belly newts.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am looking at the Eastern Newt, or Marbled Salamander, assuming the tank is large enough for them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't think this tank could have enough water depth for a fully aquatic newt like a fire belly or Eastern. Marbled salamanders you would probably never see because they are so shy.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Its going to be plastic, no clue where I would get my hands on glass. That and I am way to paranoid about the glass breaking.
Glass is usually easily aquired at your local ACE or Home Depot store and they will usually cut it to the size you desire. If you get 1/8" to 1/4" you really don't have to be concerned about it breaking.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mom has decided on a marbled salamander. Since they are more of a nocturnal shy sp. it works out just fine since she will be working late nights. There will be no need to divide the tank now. : )

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the same tank, but taller just went to a disco price at my work, and this weekend we get 30% off, instead of normally 15%... Im SOOOO tempted to buy it..

Its roughly
12 x 12 x 18 inches

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I did some digging.. Turns out Marbled Salamanders are illegal in Ca...SO I am back to square one.

I found some really cute little lizards at a local pet shop.. The girl there had no clue how to care for them... So Im hopeing I can dig up something on them..

They are called

Tanzania Flying Lizards.

Anyone have any clue how to care for them?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts