The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this 65g tank for around 2-3 years now and it's been everything from fish and rock only, to heavily planted, to bare bottom, and now I need something that's real easy to maintain and looks amazing.

I'd like to do an emersed set-up if possible, I figure that'd be the easiest to maintain plus some extra $$$ for the plant growth...

So my question is, What setup could I do that will look good and be a real easy keeper?

·
Registered
105 Posts
A riparium would look nice. You could use some commonly found houseplants such as peace lily and pothos (or even certain emersed forms of aquatic plants) for the emersed section and keep the underwater part simple with a nice hard scape and anubias of you want some green down there too. Would be real easy to keep as well. Emergent plants aren't limited by the amount of co2 in the water so they make pretty good water purifiers.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Just a thought ( with a bad picture )

This thing is my 65 gallon 'river system' . 4 separate waterfalls , an area for terrestrial stuff , and 2 rock walls each with a waterfall for mosses , java ferns , and whatever else will cling to life stuck to a dripping rock. Water is picked up from the left rock wall , flows through an Eheim 2215 and back out through the right rock wall , creating the right hand waterfall . As the right chamber fills up , water overflows into the small center chamber and then overflows into the left chamber . There's a small submersible pump behind the left rock wall which feeds a spray bar aimed downward at the rocks . Been running for around 10 years at least , I switched from film to digital in 2005 or so and my build pix are on 35mm slides .

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Not in any way to make someone look bad, but just for info...Peace Lilies need to be were their roots can drain completely. I do believe that this plant was just used as an example but they do require different watering tecniques as most nurseries place the pots in water till they fill the dirt well but then allow them to fully drain after.With most other plants the usual watering of spraying water on top of them is used.
You might want to check this info/w a nursury before you spend money on plants that you intend to plant where the roots are in a bog type wet dirt.

I'm not by lease, allowed a tank that big or I would have a custom built terrarium/Paladium about the size of a 220g/w rain forest
frogs in it and that general theme complete/w pool of dark water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts