The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, it seems like my lfs is not going to get anymore blue tetras in :( i got mine months ago now and every time i go they never have anymore. i live 2 1/2 hours from the lfs and am not able to go in often. when i ask them to order me some they say maybe they can get them but they are never there. now i am afraid the same is going to happen with my emperor tetras.

i have 7 blue tetras in my 30 gallon with 6 amano shrimp (maybe only 5 now :( i can only seem to find 5 at a time lately). i was wondering if i could put the 3 emperor tetras in with them since they (emperors) seem especially shy in such a small group.

my blue tetra tank doesn't have many places to hide since it is iwagumi inspired and it has only rocks and java moss. do you think it would be better to put the blue tetras in my 20 with the emperors since there are lots more tall plants and more places to hide? the 20 has 3 emperor tetras and 2 albino cories.

i am upgrading the 20 very soon (finally got something to make a top for my rimless!) to a 30 gallon. maybe i should wait and put them all together at the same time into the new tank? it will have a cave made out of rocks and many tall plants.

if i can put them all together i think i will get some cardinals to put in the 30 iwagumi style tank because they always have them in stock. how many can i get at one time to put in the tank?

thanks for any help you can give!

oh! what kind of cories can i get to go with albino cories if i can't get anymore albino ones? i love the cories! they are so darn cute! i only have 2 because that is all they had at the time - the same reason i only have 3 emperor tetras. what other kinds of cories will go with these guys?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had a medley of the blue-ish tetras in a 29g for awhile now and have observed mixed results. Currently I have a pair of emperors (Nematobrycon palmeri), four blue emperors (Inpaichthys kerri) and four blue tetras (Boehlkea fredcochui). I started out with a few more of all of these. I've had the current group of emperors and blue emperors for well over a year now and just added the blue tetras a few weeks ago. The emperors (especially the female) seem to be the meanest of them. They occasionally chase the blue emperors and blue tetras. The blue emperors also chase the blue tetras sometimes. The blue tetras are peaceful and never chase anyone. I also currently have three black neon tetras (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi) in there and the emperors and blue emperors never chase them at all.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Cory Cats get along fine with other Corys AFAIK. So try to find a nice school of Corys 6 or more.

When you are adding new fish, consider setting up a quarantine tank. Otherwise, I do test water daily after adding new fish and partial water change a week after or as needed. I have small tanks, so tend to get mini cycle and small ammonia spike after adding new fish.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you. :)

i don't have the blue tetras that you have. i remember when i got them i looked it up and i can't remember what they are now. they have black down by their tail and some black on their fins but the tips of the fins are white/clear. they are not nice! i was hoping that in a bigger group they would be less nippy. they chase and nip each other all the time. i wanted to get more of the same but my problem with that is listed above. :(

one of my emperor tetras is nippy with another one in the tank.

i am guessing that the females are the bigger rounder ones? i don't really know which is the most nippy with the blue tetras, but the female emperor tetra is the nippy one.

would they all school together or will they just be a bigger group of nippy fish?

i would like for them to be nice to each other. haha!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you :) i can't wait to get more cories! i really like them a lot.

do you think 10 tetras (if i can put them both together) and 6 cories will be too much for a 31 gallon tank? it will be heavily planted.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i am guessing that the females are the bigger rounder ones? i don't really know which is the most nippy with the blue tetras, but the female emperor tetra is the nippy one.

would they all school together or will they just be a bigger group of nippy fish?
The male emperor has the more defined trident-looking tail. Usually bigger, also.

In my experience, neither the emperor, blue emperor or blue tetras school much at all. They behave like cardinals or black neons. They kind of just hang out, mostly singly in different parts of the tank. The blue tetras do seem to be the most active of the three, though.

·
Registered
637 Posts
thank you :) i can't wait to get more cories! i really like them a lot.

do you think 10 tetras (if i can put them both together) and 6 cories will be too much for a 31 gallon tank? it will be heavily planted.
You'll be fine with that many; in fact you could probably add more tetras later if you find them.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The male emperor has the more defined trident-looking tail. Usually bigger, also.

In my experience, neither the emperor, blue emperor or blue tetras school much at all. They behave like cardinals or black neons. They kind of just hang out, mostly singly in different parts of the tank. The blue tetras do seem to be the most active of the three, though.

i can't really tell which ones have a more trident shaped tail. maybe they are all one sex. i am not great with sexing fish. haha!

i do notice that my blue tetras don't really school well. but, they do sort of hang out in the same area of the tank for the most part. my emperor tetras mostly hang out alone or 2 of them stick together and 1 is alone.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I think you will have a bigger school of nippy fish. they dont really school together in small tanks unless there is a threat to them like a bigger fish. if you put them in a 55 they may school seperately. i love panda cories best.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so, do you think they will pick on each other or do you think it will just be like my blue tetras now, who chase each other around but don't really do much?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.