The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
There are three that are pretty easy to grow emersed...

Echinodorus cordifolius
E. cordifolius 'Tropica Marble Queen'
E. palaefolius

I have tried to grow many others emersed but the other kinds have always tried to grow their underwater-form leaves, which just droop and shrivel up when grow in the air.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
a good way is to run a humidifier, i picked up a zoo med fogger works well, keep humidity around 95%-100% keep the container mostly sealed, but not AIR tight running a cheap co2 system isn't needed but couldnt hurt. HIGH light is the way to go, power of the sun in other words, what is high light submerged is Low light emersed

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont have a humidifier, would it work if i put the plant out of water and blast it with light?
what plants are there that dont need to go through the transition, could i use a peace lily instead?

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Actually it has been my experince that emersed Echinodorus do better without very high humidity. If they grow with very moist air then they will respond as if still underwater and grow those underwater-form leaves.

I have also observed that emersed swordplants and other aquatics do not need especially bright light to grow well. They might in fact require less intense light because the light does not lose brightness penetrating water.

They definitely do not need extra CO2 growing emersed. They will get plenty of CO2 right out of the air.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I've got two sword tanks. They don't require a heater in the water to provide extra humidity.

Make sure you have glass tops though unless you plan on having issues with acclimation when you go submersed.

-Gordon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.