The Planted Tank Forum banner

emersed sword plant

3207 21
Hey guys I just wanted to get some opinions on emersed plant growth.
I have a sword plant that has been growing a leave emersed. I was going to trim it but now I'm curious to what it would look like if i let it grow. What are your guys thoughts on this?

Here are some pics

Has more of a red look in real life, cam didnt pick it up though.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Above comment is true and agreed with :) Usually they tend to flower when emersed like that, so the book says, but any half emersed and submerged plant I have grown usually bolts in growth but tends to grow upwards for that Co2 more than growing as it would regularly fully submerged..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks as though it's on its way to the grave...maybe. How far away is your light? My only theory in my case was that it was just an inch or two away from 2 t5 bulbs, way too much light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually It's just natural sunlight. I keep that tank outside, and It only gets around 2 hours of direct sunlight for now. It should get more direct sun this spring.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
My swords and anubias plants do this frequently. I trim them now because the leaves always ended up dying. Just my experience.

Same thing happens to my java fern, pennywort, and hairgrass! It grows to the surface and then dries up. Is my room too dry?

I agree that that look looks like it's on it's way out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hmmm well I'd probably assume that it's unlikely for them to survive submersed with the leaves emersed. My anubias sent off a flowering thingy once (excuse my lack of botanical vocabulary LOL,) I was so excited for it to flower but it never did...it didn't die either, it started growing at a 90 degree angle out of the water but never flowered. Just looked like a bud. @Bananableps humidity might play a role! Considering where the plants originate, they might need a very high humidity in order to survive the adaptation...?

To the op: keep us posted, being outside might be a different story, but I still doubt it will survive.
@BettaBettas was a little unclear, have you personally seen this? Or was that what you read?

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Hmmm well I'd probably assume that it's unlikely for them to survive submersed with the leaves emersed. My anubias sent off a flowering thingy once (excuse my lack of botanical vocabulary LOL,) I was so excited for it to flower but it never did...it didn't die either, it started growing at a 90 degree angle out of the water but never flowered. Just looked like a bud. @Bananableps humidity might play a role! Considering where the plants originate, they might need a very high humidity in order to survive the adaptation...?

To the op: keep us posted, being outside might be a different story, but I still doubt it will survive.
@BettaBettas was a little unclear, have you personally seen this? Or was that what you read?

Experience

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Care to elaborate? Under what conditions? What kind of light and how far away the light was? Anything might help us troubleshoot a bit. Thanks.

well my lighting wasn't fancy or anything when my plants started emersing, it was about 2" from the waters surface (not exact, just rough estimate) High humidity, area I live in is very humid.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Yeah I'll keep ya posted. My Anubis also flowered but underwater though. (I'll upload pic tomorrow morning). And yes humidity plays a huge role on these plants from what I've researched. Speaking of humidity, I'm currently running an experiment with some plants I trimmed from the tank in the picture. I put the plants I trimmed into a 20G tall planted them in with natural organic potting soil, some gravel, and filled half of the tank with water. I then covered the top with plastic wrapping paper to trap to make room for humid air. I'm now just letting the plants outgrow the water level and see how they grow when it gets emersed with humidity. If you guys are interested i can upload pics.

Here's my anubias

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.