The Planted Tank Forum banner

emersed set up without humidity

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  legomaniac89 
#1 ·
i have a little glass pot in my room with about 3" of topsoil under .5" of sand, and then 1.5" of water, and i'm trying to grow some aquatic plants in it... and i'm failing miserably. I've tried Elatines, Rotalas, MU, HM, and Limnophila sp. 'mini' in this set up, and all of them have just dried up and melted away. I know Bacopa sp. can grow emersed without extra humidity (and i have like 3 stems of bacopa in there), but what else can?

I tried some Lindernia sp. and Hygrophila balsamica a long time ago with a fair amount of success (the lindernia flowered and the balsamica got really big and looked really cool), but i added too much Excel one day and the next morning they were all completely melted away (and the emersed growth was wilted and VERY dead).

What other plants can i try without added humidity? Has anyone tried this before?

#6 ·
yeah, i supposed i could find something to make that work. in the mean time, i put a humidifier in my room... maybe after a few days that will help a tiny bit. i doubt itll be all that effective though.

What was the logic behind pouring excel on your entirely emersed plants?
they are on the windowsill (so they get lots of light) and have no circulation, so the water is a giant algae magnet.

#7 ·
I have a Hygro corymbosa "Kompakt" growing in a window at about 40% humidity and it's doing fine. It's been flowering for 5 months straight too. But like Hydro said, Echinodorus sp. like lower humidity as long as there's lots of water around the roots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.