The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on how to get emersed bog plants set up by the water's surface. This is a fake wood tree stump, upside down. Was considering filling it with lava rock and some plants, and then using moss to try to hide edges, should end up being right below the water's surface, i guess. The aquarium can be viewed from all sides, so whatever i do can't be a "background". Any other suggestions? I like how it provides an arch underwater, not taking up a lot of space there. The bottom 4 or 5" will be buried in the substrate.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Looking for opinions on how to get emersed bog plants set up by the water's surface. This is a fake wood tree stump, upside down. Was considering filling it with lava rock and some plants, and then using moss to try to hide edges, should end up being right below the water's surface, i guess. The aquarium can be viewed from all sides, so whatever i do can't be a "background". Any other suggestions? I like how it provides an arch underwater, not taking up a lot of space there. The bottom 4 or 5" will be buried in the substrate.
Most natural way to do it is to use real wood that goes up to (or better yet) through the surface of the water. Then grow plants on the real wood with the roots into the water. You will be growing plants hydroponically but there is a surprising number of plants that will do well in those conditions. @EmotionalFescue does his 5 foot tank this way. He also uses some boxes that attach to the sides to hold plants as well if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm realizing that i'll likely need a piece of tile or slate or something underneath the 2 points where all the weight is at, the stump is 11.5 lb, and it can hold an entire 9lb gallon of water inside it (i guess lava rock would weigh less than water, but that's an estimate of how heavy it could get), and then, also end up with more wood and plants on top. that point in the picture could easily end up with over 25lb on it, so yeah, the weight has to be distributed with a piece of tile or slate or something.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd fill it most of the way with lava rock then line it with some geotextile or screen to create a barrier so the substrate doesn't fall through. Fill it up the rest of the way with substrate and plant.
It could look pretty cool, of course there is just as a good of a chance it wont but you'll never know unless you try.
You might be able to use plastic eggcrate/light diffuser and then attach the 2 'points' to it with glue or silicone. You might even be able to drill it and then just use zip ties.
On a side note I'd also try to get the 'top' as level as possible I think the that would add to the aesthetics, maybe even build a little hill so it actually breaks the surface and go for mini island thing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts