The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I got this plant today from aquadise on ebay and it's supposed to be L. Aromatica.. Is this the emeresed version?? If so will this live in my aquarium submerged?? Will it ever look like the submerged version??

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
yup, you got the emersed version... It'll live.. The older bottom leaves will die off.

I bought some emersed LA from an asian grocery store for $1. I hope you didn't pay too much.

Problem with the emerse plant is that I never got it to look like the submerged form like the really long purple leaves.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
That plants should be alright...they change over to submersed in a few weeks. However I doubt that they will grow into the type with long purple leaves... I've grown some of those emmersed and they don't look like the ones you have in the picture. The ones you've got in the picture will be green and they will have broader leaves when submersed and a maximum of 3 leaves per node unlike the purple type which has many more. That's just been my experience.
Huy

·
Registered
711 Posts
That plants should be alright...they change over to submersed in a few weeks. However I doubt that they will grow into the type with long purple leaves... I've grown some of those emmersed and they don't look like the ones you have in the picture. The ones you've got in the picture will be green and they will have broader leaves when submersed and a maximum of 3 leaves per node unlike the purple type which has many more. That's just been my experience.
Huy
i agree with this. i've had mine submersed for about 3 months and looks nowhere near the frilly purple type. tips are a light purple, but lower leaves are green, 3 leaves per node. grows like a weed. i too am disappointed.

could this be a different species of limnophila?

·
Registered
21 Posts
well that sucks!! Looks like I will be ordering more......
If I were you I wont get any more plants from that aquadise on eBay, this Texas dude owes me money and never replaced the plants he'd promised since last year. What up sets me the most is - he always send the wrong plants.

There are lots of bad rumors spreading around amongst the hobbyist about this guy. On that note, here is - I ordered the L. Aromatica last year, it didn't change into any other form but the same thing as it was a year ago - three leave whorl last year, three leave whorl this year- When I purchased my plants from eBay, I even specified SUBMERSED, this guy told me :" it will change after become submersed..."

TAKE IT FROM ME. I still have all the correspondence from last year, to remind me NEVER AGAIN.

As far as I know, you could be that guy doing the ad for yourself, HAHAHAHA...

·
Registered
845 Posts
Hey everyone I got this plant today from aquadise on ebay and it's supposed to be L. Aromatica.. Is this the emeresed version?? If so will this live in my aquarium submerged?? Will it ever look like the submerged version??

I bought this from him also. It will grow into it's submersed form, with purple leaves even, if your tank conditions are right.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In order to get L. aromatica to change colors, you need to make sure it is getting enough light. I have one stem where at the bottom it is green, the top is purple, and the emersed section is green again with only 3 leaves per whorl...

It is probably the same plant growing in non-optimum conditions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I dunno about the stuff from aquadise... I bought some and it's never changed, still green, still 3 leaves per whorl, this is in a 46 gallon under a Tek light. Rich in nutrients, modified ei, all that jazz. Been about a month. In fact, when the aquadise stuff gets within 3 inches or so from the top, the leaves don't do as well and growth slows, so more light in my experience is worse... I just don't think it's a lighting issue. However, I already had some L Aromatica, (just bought the Aquadise stuff on a lark as a throw in with an order) and it's all kinds of purple, red, copper etc. So either the aquadise stuff takes a looooong time to change or there's some trigger other than light for it to change- I can't imagine what it would be, my other L Aromatica is thriving. I can say 100 percent that this isnt emersed growth waiting to die off, I've trimmed it back like 6 times, most of the originally shipped plant mass is gone. It's a weed, grows faster than your standard LA.

I actually hope it doesn't change, I kinda like it how it is, makes a decent backdrop against "real" LA because it's bright/light green and even with the big leaves, bushy.

Note that if you crush the Aquadise stuff, it DOES smell like regular LA, but if you ordered this and are hoping for the regular LA, I'd hit the swap and shop instead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.