The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an interesting emergent plant for a pico (1g). I'm thinking something 2-6 inches tall. I can position rocks to keep it partially submerged or just the roots depending on what the plant needs.

At the moment I am thinking Anubias Coffeefolia with the rhizome and half the stems submerged. I figure most Anubias are grown emmersed so I should be able to keep it happy via wrapping the tank and misting regularly.

The ideal plant would be able to survive without needing ongoing misting after a slow transition.

Thoughts?

Thanks all,
Nick.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an interesting emergent plant for a pico (1g). I'm thinking something 2-6 inches tall. I can position rocks to keep it partially submerged or just the roots depending on what the plant needs.

At the moment I am thinking Anubias Coffeefolia with the rhizome and half the stems submerged. I figure most Anubias are grown emmersed so I should be able to keep it happy via wrapping the tank and misting regularly.

The ideal plant would be able to survive without needing ongoing misting after a slow transition.

Thoughts?

Thanks all,
Nick.
Ludwigia or cardinal plant (Lobelia cardinalis) are both good options. Sturdy enough to grow out of water and both need zero misting once they emerge.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent thanks for that, Ludwigia looks like an excellent choice.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Hydrocotyle tripartita, perhaps? Bacopa makes some nice flowers. Or if you wanted to do something exotic, you could try a non-aquatic plant or terrarium epiphyte. Maybe even a carnivorous plant.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hydrocotyle tripartita, perhaps? Bacopa makes some nice flowers. Or if you wanted to do something exotic, you could try a non-aquatic plant or terrarium epiphyte. Maybe even a carnivorous plant.
Thanks for so many great options. I'm headed to one of the LFS tomorrow so hopefully they will have some of the above in stock.

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
Literally if there's an aquarium plant that you like, chances are that it grows if not completely emersed in nature, above the waterline at times. Google any plant you're interested in for specifics, of course. A tight-fitting glass top or any other way you can keep near 100% humidity is half the battle. The other half is keeping them from burning themselves on the heat from light bulbs they tend to grow into. Just keep in mind that parts of the same plant that grew in air can "drown" underwater.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Carnivorous plants need almost distilled water to survive and much cooler than tropical temperatures. Not a great choice for a planted bowl with nutrients in the water. Rotala Rotundifolia has a nice looking emergent growth and can flower, rarely.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey All,

I have just planted my new pico for a dry start with trimmings of Anubias and Xmas moss from our shrimp pico. Once these take off (hopefully), I'll trim the old algae spotted Anubias leaves off and flood. Ludwigia seems to come in some amazing red colours that I might be able to sustain emergent close to the light.

I'll put up photos if this all works.

Nick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.